does Prazosin make you less aware

Started by Dee, July 21, 2016, 04:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

I am considering taking Prazosin.  I am super concerned that it will make me less aware of my surroundings at night.  If it makes me unaware of dreams, can it make me unaware of everything.  Nights are very difficult for me and I am afraid to take medication that will help with that.

sanmagic7

have you done any research on it?  i'm not familiar with it, but when i get a new med where my knowledge base is limited, i'll look on the internet, see what i can find.  good luck with it.  i hope it helps and doesn't hinder. 

radical

I haven't heard of it.
I have recently been prescribed 'knock-out' sleeping pills.  They don't knock me out.   I think that would require a big hammer.  But I have managed two nights of six hours sleep on them, in two weeks.  They were worth it for that.  I felt like a different person the next morning.

mourningdove

I took Prazosin for a while. I don't think it made me less aware of my surroundings. It did make me have to urinate in the middle of the night, and then I would almost pass out from lightheadedness when I got up to go to the bathroom, because the Prazosin had lowered my blood pressure so much.

Dee

I appreciate it.  I have looked it up, but I would still rather hear a first hand account.  The dizziness concerns me.  At the ripe old age of 42 I have severe osteoporosis and I cannot afford to fall.  Of course though, I always feel like who cares, if it happens, it happens.  Probably a CPTSD thing.  I see my psychiatrist on the 4th and I'll decide then.

Thank you!

Dee

This is almost funny....

I saw my psychiatrist and we increased my trazadone (for sleep) and I agreed to try prazosin for nightmares.  We agreed I could take a quarter dose and increase it slowly.  At the hospital I went to the pharmacy to fill the prescription.  They had a show on the TV about women discussing trauma/attacks.  I couldn't fill the prescription for meds related to trauma due to a trauma show.  I ran out and away from the hospital because I thought I was going to die.  I did go back after about 30 minutes and the stupid show was still on.  I went to the patient advocate and asked them to turn it off so I could fill my meds.  That is a big step for me.  Then I got the prazosin and discovered it is a capsule so I can't cut it....