Yikes!

Started by Three Roses, August 02, 2016, 12:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three Roses

I made an appointment with a therapist! Eeeek! I'm freakin out man. It's not until August 31 so I've got lots of time to obsess and catatrophize :D

Ay yi yi ... someone tell me it'll be alright lol.

movementforthebetter

It will be alright, and good for you! My T is great. If you don't feel comfortable with your T, you can always find another. Very exciting ans hope you find a lot of positive progress through therapy.  :hug:

Contessa

Jdog

It's gonna be fine.  Either you will feel that the therapist is a good match for you or not, and can move on from there.  A good therapist is worth her/his weight in gold, and best wishes as you take this important step.

Three Roses

Awww thanks, all! This forum is wonderfully supportive <3

woodsgnome

I honestly had given up on finding a therapist that I felt was savvy and competent enough to grasp or deal with the ins/outs of my cptsd. I'd been through lots, and none of them worked out; a couple were actually quite detrimental.

Though I'd given up (sometimes giving up can be a good thing!), I still felt the need for someone to witness, at least; and perhaps lend some expertise but still be open to what I've learned along the way, too.

To my surprise, I found one, and the first clue was her bio, where she says: "I view psychotherapy as a partnership...therapy is not something I do 'to' you, it's something I do 'with' you.  My job is to help you explore options and motivations so you can make the changes you want in your life."

In other words, no top-down "I am the supreme expert" attitude, but a sincere effort to find some way through the muck of the pain, shame, and grief.

So, I concur with what's already been said in response; it's worth a shot, it might work out well, maybe not. There's lots of therapists out there, and I wish you the best in finding what you need.  :hug: 

sanmagic7

it will be all right, 3 roses, one way or another.  you'll feel it, you'll know it, whether it's a fit or not.  i would say within 3 sessions, you'll know.  so, in the meantime, while you're waiting, just know that it will be a new adventure in your life, nothing more or less.  i think the therapeutic relationship is like any other, in some ways.  the power dynamic is a bit different, it's not quite equal, but that doesn't mean that you don't have your same rights as with anyone else.  you still have your own power, your own boundaries, your same ability to say yes or no.  you are the one who makes the decision whether this is the right place for you, the right person for you to work with. not the other way around.

as a therapist, i like to think of myself as a guide, someone who may know the territory of recovery a little bit better than my client, and who can give them guidelines, information, help them through rough spots with techniques i know that they may not be familiar with or that they can't do on their own.  i can show them different paths, and let them know what they may be facing if they choose one over the other.  i can be an ear to hear, a shoulder to lean on, or an arm for support when the situation calls for it.  i'm there to do what's best for the client, period.  the first rule for anyone in the helping professions is 'do no harm'.  and, that's what i look for in a therapist.

so, if this is someone with whom you feel comfortable, who you feel has your best interest at heart, who is ready to listen and hear you, it will be all right.  and, if this turns out to be someone not like that, you have the right to leave with no regrets or guilt, and, therefore, it will be all right.  either way, you will be fine.   best to you on this new adventure!

Sandstone

All the best and good luck Three Roses. As others have said you will feel if its the right therapist.  I had a positive experience with my last one and i wish for you the same xx

Three Roses

Thanks everyone. My anxiety has decreased, so yay!

Dutch Uncle

It's going to be OK.
Make sure that before and after you have a look at Choosing a Therapist if it's (going to be) a good fit for you.

:thumbup:

sanmagic7

so, tomorrow's the big day.  i hope it goes well, that you feel safe and secure, and that you get a feeling of wanting to go back, that you can feel hope and a sense of comfort.  please let us know how it went.  i'm rooting for you! 

Three Roses

Thanks! Oh, you can be sure that as soon as I have the energy (I'm sure I'll be wiped out), I'll be posting here!  :bigwink:

Three Roses

That was a lovely first session. Just basically a get-to-know-you thing, nothing in depth. She recommends "The Body Keeps The Score" but has not read it yet; it's still on her to-read list so I told her it was on YouTube.  :D She'd never heard of Pete Walker tho. Still, I liked her, she was a bit quirky (a good thing in my book) thoughtful and insightful. Next appointment is in October.  :o

movementforthebetter

:cheer: :applause: :cheer:

Right on, glad it went well! The first meetings are scary but you're on the right path.

Sandstone

Nice one Three Roses  :cheer: you made the first step, well done for being so brave  :hug: