Feeling extremely stressed when things don't go to plan

Started by Sesame, August 08, 2016, 01:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesame

I think I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but my ILs are coming to visit next month. My FIL is fine, but MIL I suspect is a narcissist. She's on good behaviour now that we live really far away, but she still lets slip with subtle jabs at me, constantly over-analyses and criticises everything, is extremely nosy and is overall a difficult person to deal with. I think this is why I have been suffering quite a few EFs lately. She's not staying with us, but she will be in our home regularly for dinner.

Anyway, in relation to this and my birth control pills running out just after they arrive, I decided to make an appointment with my gyn very, very early. This is normally the best way of avoiding any last-minute disasters, but even that didn't work out this time. Firstly, her hours changed and are no longer in synch with my out-of-work hours and there are multiple national and office-specific holidays approaching. In two weeks, I'll be going to visit family, but it doesn't work out before that trip. I was offered another gyn, but I have been sexually abused as a child and am NOT comfortable with taking another gyn! Especially since it's time for check-ups! So I tried booking in September. Then I was told my gyn was on holiday for two weeks after I get back! I booked an appointment the day she is back, but because there need to be checks done, I don't expect to get the pills until one week later. This means either going back the SAME DAY my in-laws arrive (we're supposed to meet them), or the following Friday (when I bet uNMIL will expect me to guide them around as it's my usual day off) because AGAIN there are two national holidays that week, I will completely run out of pills Saturday, and shortly after they get here we're going on a trip with them!  :stars:

Add to this uNMIL is unreasonably nosy about periods, gynaecologist appointments, and even our sex life early on (we've put a stop to that long ago) and I am feeling extremely stressed right now.

I know it's not the end of the world and I won't die without birth control pills, or be physically harmed by uNMIL asking probing questions, but does anyone else feel similarly overwhelmed with stress when it seems like all these blockades continuously pop up and divert you into the least pleasant route to take? :fallingbricks:

Three Roses

Sometimes it feels like there's a log jam, and someone has come along and kicks one free and suddenly I'm being swept downstream in a rush, paddling furiously and gasping for air.

Unpleasant people are never easy to deal with; I'm sorry you will be having to spend time with someone you find difficult.  :(