Learned Optimism (My Book Report Journal)

Started by BeHea1thy, November 01, 2014, 09:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeHea1thy

Martin Seligman, Ph.D. is a scientific researcher who began to investigate 'learned helplessness' in the late 60's, which was parallel to his interest in depression. Over time and in collaboration with others, he developed a 'positive psychology' approach in which an explanatory style was methodically analyzed. Explanatory style is Seligman's term for the manner, learned in childhood and adolescence, in which we explain out setbacks to ourselves. With cognitive  therapy woven throughout, Dr. Seligman proposes that there are 3 crucial dimensions to explanatory style:

1. Permanence
2. Pervasiveness
3. Personalization

Each category contains two viewpoints, pessimistic or optimistic. The pessimistic style considers setbacks as permanent. The optimistic style considers them temporary.

Permanence (Bad) Examples:
Permanent (Pessimistic): Diets never work 
Temporary (Optimistic): Diets don't work when you eat out.
Permanent (Pessimistic): You never talk to me.
Temporary (Optimistic): You haven't talked to me lately.

Additionally, when good events happen, the reverse is now true. A pessimistic mindset explains the good as temporary, whereas the optimist sees the event as permanent.

Permanence (Good)Examples:
Temporary (Pessimistic): I try hard.
Permanent (Optimistic): I'm talented.
Temporary (Pessimistic): It's my lucky day.
Permanent (Optimistic): I'm always lucky.

Permanence is about time, pervasiveness is about space, People who make universal explanations for their failures give up on everything when failure strikes in one area. People who make specific explanations may become helpless in that one part of their lives, yet march stalwartly on in others.

Pervasiveness (Bad) Examples:
Universal (Pessimistic): All teachers are unfair.
Specific (Optimistic): Professor Seligman is unfair.
Universal (Pessimistic): I'm repulsive.
Specific (Optimistic): I'm repulsive to him/her.

Conversely, the explanatory style for good events is opposite that of bad events. The optimist believes bad events have specific causes, while good events will enhance everything he(she) does. The pessimist believes that bad events have universal causes and that good events are caused by specific factors.

Examples:
Pervasiveness (Good)
Specific (Pessimistic): I'm smart at math.
Universal (Optimistic): I'm smart.
Specific (Pessimistic): I was charming to her/him.
Universal (Optimistic): I was charming.

The final aspect of explanatory style is personalization. When bad things happen, we can blame ourselves (internalize) or we can blame other people (externalize). People who blame themselves when they fail have low self-esteem as a consequence. People who blame external events do not lose self-esteem when bad events strike. On the whole, they like themselves better than people who blame themselves do.

Examples:
Personalization (Bad)
Internal (Low self-esteem): I'm stupid.
External (High self-esteem) You're stupid.
Internal (Low self-esteem) I'm insecure.
External (High self-esteem) I grew up in poverty.

The optimistic style for explaining good events is the opposite of that used for explaining bad events; it's internal, rather then external.

Examples:
Personalization (Good)
External (Pessimistic) A stroke of luck....
Internal (Optimistic) I can take advantage of my luck.
External (Pessimistic) My teammates' skill....
Internal (Optimistic) My skill......

Seligman believes that explanatory style can be changed, and 'learned'. Since I'm reading his book right now, I'll let you all know! 

The most attractive portion of his teaching for me centers on Virtues and Strengths. http://www.amazon.com/Character-Strengths-Virtues-Handbook-Classification/dp/0195167015. Seeing this book in a therapist's office started my journey to learn more about him.

The VIA Classification of Character Strengths. http://www.viacharacter.org/www/ You can take a free survey here to measure your strengths! I highly recommend it.

Here's a closer look at each virtue and the strengths.

Wisdom and Knowledge: Creativity, Curiosity, Judgment and Open-Mindedness, Love of Learning, Perspective
    Courage: Bravery, Perseverance, Honesty, Zest
    Humanity: Capacity to Love and Be Loved, Kindness, Social Intelligence
    Justice: Teamwork, Fairness, Leadership
    Temperance: Forgiveness and Mercy, Modesty and Humility, Prudence, Self-Regulation
    Transcendence: Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence, Gratitude, Hope, Humor, Religiousness and Spirituality

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pixelpixiestick

This is so intriguing. Have you read any further in the book?