Prazosin for nightmares

Started by Dee, August 18, 2016, 12:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

Just in case anyone is interested....  I have been taking prazosin (minipress) for nightmares for two weeks now. I am taking the lowest does 1MG.  So far no relief.  I was extremely exhausted all day, every day, so I cut back on trazadone (for insomnia) last night and I feel better this morning, but I have been awake since 3 am.  Probably due to the nightmare I had last night.  I'll email my psychiatrist and see if she thinks prazosin needs to be increased. 

I'm thinking there is no magic cure.  I do feel that Lexapro (SSRI) has been a lifesaver for me.

Dutch Uncle

There's another thread on this Prazosin for nightmares?.

Perhaps you will find some useful information there.

GlassChild

I take 2 mg of Prazosin twice a day, but I take it with other medication. I have only had one serious nightmare since I started it six weeks ago. I would be interested to know if switching up the trazadone helped it be more effective.

Elphanigh

It was effective for me for a couple of months but has stopped working for it. I can't take two because it makes me extremely dizzy. I see my psych today so I am going to see what she says. If she offers an idea of solution I will let you know. Could be useful information for you. I am sorry it is not working to curb your nightmares. I know how terrible they can be

Dee

I couldn't tolerate it.  I take clondadine now.  It's okay, makes nightmares less intense, but not gone.

GlassChild

I will say Dee is right. It doesn't make my nightmares go away, I'm just not concerned about them in the dream. It's like I know they're fake or something while they're happening whereas it used to be so real.