What I am experiencing ?

Started by Boatsetsailrose, August 19, 2016, 08:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatsetsailrose

Hi
I have these type of days sometimes and I don't know how to classify it so that I can look at how to cope with it ...
It's like this ...
I wake up and my mind is racing ... I can't seem to catch any thoughts as they are racing all over the place from subject to subject ... I then start feeling out of control and my breathing is more rapid, stomach knots and headache
I feel like a child in an adult body - trying to conduct my day is so difficult - I have some things to attend to and it is so overwhelming and I seem to lose the ability to prioritise and I feel like I'm wadding through thick mud
The obsessional stuff starts then and I want to be in control so my head starts ruminating about 'all the things I need to do and it all feels out of my control

After writing all this and reading it back I summise that 'this is anxiety ' but in terms of cptsd can these symptoms be defined as something in a framework relating to my condition ???
All thoughts / knowledge appreciated to help me manage this type of day

Sandstone

I experience kinda the same thing. When i wake up i feel like im drowning in thoughts and worries. This has only been happening for the last two years at most. I assume its anxiety also.Iv had to take sertraline meds to ease it. They do help.  I have days as you describe. I feel out of control and overwhelmed by it. Im sorry i have no answers for you but i hope you can find some relief.

Boatsetsailrose

Thank you sandstone it always helps me when someone identifies
Yes I take citalopram and it does help
Yes it's the feeling out of control
Isn't it and the overwhelm. My heart bangs and my breathing is rapid
I just got back from holiday and was suddenly faced with 'to do list and back in responsibility as I write I wonder if this is the trigger and then it escalated ....
When I get like this I want to hide so bad and feel an impending tiredness . ... I took an extra nap yesturday afternoon and that helped
I remember the inner child and talk to her kindly and that really helps
Today I'm going to a recovery convention and looking forward to being in that and getting out of my head

Dee

I most definitely have this issue.  For me it turns into a downward spiral of unhealthy coping skills.

In my last session my therapist and I discussed breathing and relaxation techniques to help me slow things down.  I often start to hyperventilate and my heart pounds, then I start to get dizzy.

You can read about relaxation techniques but here is an overview:

Put both feet on the ground
I put my hand on my stomach
Then I breath in deeply so I can feel my stomach go out.  If it isn't going out I'm not doing it right
Then I tell myself "I am relaxing, breathing smoothly and rhythmically.  I feel calm, renewed, and refreshed"

I can do this when I am around people and it is just breathing.  The hard part is for me to remember when I am upset so for now I write a small B between my finger and thumb.  I need to come up with a better idea, but I already have bracelet reminders for other things.

Hope it helps!!

Boatsetsailrose

Thank you Dee that is very helpful !