Intensity of Inner Critic In Relation To Recovery

Started by movementforthebetter, August 27, 2016, 06:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movementforthebetter

Quick question: has anyone found that their inner critic really ramps up after a particularly focused period of recovery?

I had a week with a whole lot going on, and it wasn't too bad until the week ended and I found some quiet. Then wow, did the inner crittic ever come out fighting, second-guessing, and putting me down! I managed to get beyond it through keeping busy and changing my routine for the day. Just wondering if I should be expecting more of these sneal attacks.

Dutch Uncle

Oh yes!  :heythere:

"How dare you find quiet, movementforthebetter! Just, how dare you! I, your Inner Critic, is not going to be quiet! Do you hear me!"
"yes, I hear you, Inner Critic. Loud and clear. A bit too loud in fact. Rant away. I'm not listening. I've heard enough your crap."

Good for you to have changed your routine.  :thumbup:
I think that I will for ever have these sneak attacks, and as far as I understand it's a classic PTSD symptom: peace and quiet are not something we're used too.
It does get less frequent in time, and the time the Inner Critics rant continues shortens. But at times it does feel the Inner Critic makes up for that to increase the intensity. To levels I thought that weren't even possible.
I surmise they will tone down as well in time.

And there will be more and lengthier periods of peace and quiet. I'm slowly getting there. And so will you.
:hug:

Three Roses

I'm going to give my IC a new role; if she has to say something, she's got to let the other bits of me have input too. What would the 9 year old have to say, or the angry teenager, or the manager I have within? Then, while they're all arguing, I'll quietly leave the room and shut the door.  :)

woodsgnome

Three Roses observed that, having stuck all those inner characters together...
"while they're all arguing, I'll quietly leave the room and shut the door."

Then, after taking in the fresh air, perhaps you'll look back and realize that the 'solid' building you left them in was one-dimensional to begin with; like a movie prop creating the illusion of solidity. Then, as you move further away, it just fades away  :disappear:.

movementforthebetter

I like these perspectives! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I weathered one sneak attack, and now that I know they are common I can probably tell my inner crittic to take a hike a little sooner next time. At the very least, I know it's not some moral failing or due to neglect of my recovery or self care that it came back for a "visit". I feel pretty positive about this!

Three Roses

MidnightOwl

movement - yes! Totally, when I finally get my IC to quiet down it's like the calm before the storm. Crazy, all hands blazing IC attacks occur and def make me launch into an EF. I try to see if for what it is but it's seriously hard. I'm encouraged to keep going in that I trust that this is a sort of "grand finale" of the IC. Or at least, I'll be able to gain some control over it.

movementforthebetter

Yeah, I've had a great life-change this past week, so I'm battening down the hatches in preparation for the full brunt of the critic when it comes around again. I guess this may be a new form of waiting for the other shoe to drop. Typically I'd be more anxious about nebulous external events, but now I'm anticipating sneak attacks from within! Despite how nasty the critic can sometimes be, I'm still trying to be compassionate, I guess because I still see it as part of me, even though it's not me. And so, Rumi is my guide in this, as he is for many.

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.
Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

— Jellaludin Rumi,
translation by Coleman Barks

Joeybird

I'm dealing with my inner critic a little differently these days. Before, I told myself that I was a total, hopeless mess because I couldn't do all of the thing I told myself I was supposed to do.

Basically, I've lowered my standards, and started giving me pats on the back for the good things I did. Even if it's something like plugging in the vacuum cleaner, I did it. I also try to take things in part acts -- I can do things a little bit at a time, no matter how little, and still feel good that I did them.

I belong to a self-help group called Recovery, and that has helped me a lot, as well as my therapist. Recovery is free, and there are all kinds of meetings all over the place. Their idea is for people to strengthen their will. Google Recovery for the website if you are interested.

Blueberry

Yes, movementforthebetter, it's called The Empire Strikes Back (the inner empire that is).

Joeybird, I try to do what you mention too. I congratulate myself, or especially an inner child or inner teenager if I can pinpoint which one, on completing a task, or just attempting a task. Sometimes I have to divide a task up into multiple parts to get it done. I used to give up before I started and accompanied that with a pile of self-criticism.

Courtois@@1

I call my Inner Critic The Punisher.  I relate to the comment that sometimes the attacks of the Inner Critic are off the scale in terms of intensity.
How does one shrink the Inner Critic?

Three Roses

Here's a link to done answers to that question from our go-to guy, Pete Walker - http://www.pete-walker.com/shrinkingInnerCritic.htm
:heythere: