critical voices

Started by arashi, August 31, 2016, 02:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arashi

Is the inner critic the critical voices one hears? Are they thoughts or voices? how can you tell? what do you do about it? thanks.

(moderator edit: Formatting edit. (cleared the 'empty spaces' (returns), not the content of the post itself) )

Three Roses

Yes, the inner critic, or IC, is the negative "voice" or message that magically comes on scene when we feel exposed, or that we've done something wrong, or we're trying something new - anything can trigger your IC.

Here's a link on further definition and what steps you can take - http://www.pete-walker.com/shrinkingInnerCritic.htm

Dutch Uncle

The Inner Critic is indeed the 'voices' one hears.
Theory has it the Inner Critic is the remnant/remainder of the critical parent/partner/boss/whatever, i.e. a critical outsider that has been internalized under traumatic duress.

It differs from self-reflection that it refuses to stop berating you, even if you acknowledge you 'could have done better', i.e. you use reflection to learn from mistakes and progress accordingly.

arashi

Thank you three roses, Dutch uncle.

I've been avoiding and hiding and not in touch with this 'inner critic'.  I think I know when they are just my thoughts. The critical voice is relentless and I'm afraid of it. I avoid mirrors because that is when it comes out, that I have recognized. T wants me to become more aware. I don't know how to do that.

movementforthebetter

Hi arashi, it can be hard at first. I had to learn to slow down and pay attention. I also started journalling the things I noticed so I wouldn't forget. I don't catch everything, but I have become a lot more mindful. Perhaps that might be a good start point for you, even if you just start with a few minutes a day?

arashi

Thank you movementforthebetter.

I did some reading on it today. one method to calm IC was to say, "I am already doing the right thing." so I tried that, and immediately it said, "NO YOU ARE NOT."

so, I named my ICr, VEX, it's humanoid, pretty much built to destroy me. I can't see how it is meant to help. ever.

Three Roses

I've said here before how I like to do things to my IC, like put a Groucho Marx nose and glasses on her, or make her talk in a helium-voice... lots of things to do if she won't pipe down. Silly hats, monkeys with cymbals... the possibilities are endless.