So I guess my ocd is trauma related - What?!

Started by Solanin, September 02, 2016, 05:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solanin

Hello readers,

I'm new to cptsd, but I got the diagnosis of ocd with the age of 13. It developed much earlier and I'm not able to talk about that yet, but at the same time this is the point of the topic - It triggers washing. I am not the stereotype ocd person as in tv shows that is disgusted by bacteria or dirt. I get the compulsion to wash my hands when I read specific names, remember various memories or generally every time I do something connected to my "past". It's even hard to write about it now and I can't go in detail, but I try not to give in for what I wrote. Has anyone experienced similar correlations and thinks he or she uses ocd as a coping mechanism related to his traumata?

thx for reading,
Solanin

Elizabeth Jack

I have a compulsive behavior as well... Not even sure what to call it, but I pick at my cuticles.  Like, I have done it since I was 5 years old.  The sides of my thumbs are calloused, and I draw blood quite often.  I don't do it to cause pain to myself.  I don't even feel it, or realize I'm doing it, but it drives my husband crazy.  But it's coping, for sure.  Never talked to a doctor about it, but I definitely know it has to do with trauma :Idunno:

mourningdove

QuoteHas anyone experienced similar correlations and thinks he or she uses ocd as a coping mechanism related to his traumata?

Yes, I had "OCD"-style stuff going on especially when I was younger. Issues I had included object placement (compulsively rearranging my room), collecting (buying toys when I had little money, because I felt sick with anxiety if I didn't have them all), checking (door locks, oven, etc.), compulsive prayer (because I thought that something horrible would happen if I didn't). For me, it was definitely an attempt to cope with trauma.