Resilience

Started by Joeybird, September 04, 2016, 08:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeybird

I've had depression off and on since high school. The last one, when I was diagnosed with PTSD, has lasted a long time. I used to be a resilient person, and after down periods, I used to eventually get my life back. Haven't been able to do this, and it's been three years.
Anyone else notice this?

Sandstone

Iv had depression on and off for over 20 yrs but 4 yrs ago i moved house (long story short it ended badly) i had a mini breakdown and i havnt managed to get back to how i used to be since. I was more funtional, had more friends around me and had more happier times. Not sure why its taken so long to recover this time.

Three Roses

Hello and welcome, joeybird! We're glad you've joined us.

sanmagic7

joeybird, thanks for sharing.  i can relate to being resilient, then losing that ability.  for me, i think that things became so piled up after awhile that i got buried under them and could no longer access that resilient part of me.  the depression and anxiety took over, and i felt like i lost myself.

i was on anti-depressants for about 12 yrs., and then the side effects began getting worse and worse.  eventually, after doing a lot of psychological 'work' on all the emotions tangled up inside that big, dark ball that is depression (especially anger, but others as well), i was able to wean off the anti-depressants and have been depression-free for about 3 yrs. now.  i have been in the throes of a huge ef since jan., and my anxiety came back big time at the beginning of it, but no depression. as i keep working my way through everything. i'm finally feeling stronger again.

i know this can be different for everyone, but i just wanted to let you know that this has happened to others, and there can possibly be a way out. 

are you working with a therapist?  that might help you to focus on what needs to be done to clear some of the gunk away in order to regain your resiliency.