Spartanlifecoach emotional flashback course

Started by 89abc123, September 07, 2016, 01:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89abc123

Hi,

So I've bought the Spartan Life Coach's stopping emotional flashback ebook. I've had it for a few months and like most things I do it's sat there untouched.

I was recently texting a new romantic interest, and I'm really trying to do things differently and not repeat old patterns this time, just to test it out and see how it goes. so I decided to look through some Spartanlifecoach videos and ended up re-watching 'why do all my relationships suck' one where he is talking about emotional flashbacks In the early stages of a new relationship.

While I was texting this guy I noticed that just the tone of his texts would set off the inner critic (eg. He doesn't like u as much as before, you said the wrong thing) etc.

Even if things don't work out with this guy, I want to experiment a little with my reactions and picking up efs as I interact with him etc. all my past relationships and potential relationships have mostly ended the same way, so if this one ends differently I'll know it will be because I've reacted differently.

I've decided to use the ebook for 4 weeks straight and practise at least twice a day as recommended. I guess I just wanted to create a space where I can track my progress, ask for help etc.

Has anyone else here used the book?

Danaus plexippus

Not yet, but I do watch his videos. I'm not the only one here that posts links to his YouTube videos. Maybe someone else will see this and get back to you. I haven't even read the Pete Walker books yet. Right now they are on my list of things to get around to someday along with Neuro-linguistic programming. This list just keeps getting longer. I'm working full time and heavily involved in volunteering. Working is important because, money. Volunteering gives me personal satisfaction and a growing sense of purpose. Keep us updated on your experience with the stopping emotional flashback eBook. I have EFs from *. They even get me in trouble with other members here. I don't know why I keep reading threads with "TRIGGER" warnings, but I do. I think the Spartan Life Coach calls it an addiction to drama.

89abc123

The pete walker books are great! a bit confronting though when you realise the sheer amount of things about yourself you need to repair. It took me a year to move past the initial grief of finding out what cptsd was and how much work goes into recovery.

I feel like I've laid down the foundations of stability in this past year and getting my emotional flashbacks under control will be the final layer before I move into making more lasting personality changes.

I've actually come to enjoy therapy and the changes I'm making instead of dwelling on the why me why is it so hard mentality.

The EF book is wonderful. Highly highly recommend doing the work. The only part I'm finding hard is just to remember that efs do exist when I'm busy and distracted. I have to set reminders on my phone for every hour just to take a minute to check in, check how I'm feeling. I've come to notice that most of my EFs are just shame spirals or getting offended by something someone has said.

Sandstone

89abc123 i agree totally about Pete Walkers book bein quite overwhelming when you realise the vastness of it all. You have helped me realise just how long different stages can last.
Its brilliant that you have done the work and laid the foundations and are ready to tackle your EFs.

Id like to read the book and i think you setting reminders to check in with yourself is a fantastic idea, one that im going to try so thank you.
You sound well on your recovery journey and i wish you all the best. 
I can relate to trying a different way with relationships as thats what i am trying this time too.
Im off to look at the Spartan vid u suggested.

movementforthebetter

No kidding about overwhelming vastness! I've been here for 3 months, have just started reading The Body Keeps The Score, and haven't the brainpower to take on Pete Walker's book or any others yet. Ditto for Spartanlifecoach or other vids but he sounds like he's helping a few people here, so he's possibly next on my list.

I really love that reminder idea. If I am allowed to have my phone with me at my next job I will do that too, to manage the EFs. Thanks for sharing it.

89abc123

the reminder thing actually isn't my idea ;) I'm pretty sure it's in the book or Richard grannon might say it in a video or something. It was definitely his genius not mine anyway!

Yeah the biggest lesson I've learnt in recovery is trying to do everything to soon. It's unfortunately a journey that will take time. I've only ever seen people who want everything right now end up with nothing. Including myself up to this point! Patience is key. One thing at a time, one step at a time.

My life's still no where near where I want it to be, but it's a million times better than it was a year ago. I've grieved my family and made peace with my situation and I'm proud of where I'm at.