Music for recovery

Started by MarkD67, September 09, 2016, 07:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkD67

Hi everyone. It has been great reading posts from others who are in a similar boat... i can feen pretty isolated at times. Anyway, i wanted to start a thread about music,  :whistling: because i have used it very effectively in my recovery journey.

The best for me has been "Meteora (Album)" by Linkin Park.
The way I hear the lyrics in many of the songs strke strong chords inside, helping me access very deep anger/rage and grief. I have spent many hours angering to their very apt songs, spluttering at my windscreen in my recovery car (the only safe place i can anger vent).

Spoiler warning!!! If your cPTSD was caused by a significant other (like i think most of us) there will be some emotions come up when listening.

Next "Out of Myself" (Album), by Polish band 'Riverside'.
Great for grief about me having and living with my dissociated selves. I did lots of crying while listening to this album. Again, deeply connecting with the lyrics.

These are just the 2 i get most out of. In fact it was listening to these albums that taught me i was not alone in this struggle. Before i even got the cPTSD diagnosis and started to work with the team of proffessionals i am now linked in with. These albums saved my sanity for almost 2 years.

Please share your recovery music, so i can broaden my options for the powerful emotional connections music can bring.

All the best from Oz. M
  :applause:

Three Roses

When I want to get in touch with my anger, I listen to the Deftones' "Koi No Yokan" album or some of the older stuff. Tool is a good band too, for angering, but too many songs to list here.

I'm gonna go listen to your Linkin Park right now.  ;)

MarkD67

Thanks for the suggestion Three Roses, i will give them a go in my little green recovery machine (my car LOL). Ta M :thumbup:

MarkD67

Mmmmmm Thanks Three Roses  :cheer:, that hit the spot alright.  :pissed:  :thumbup:

Marja

Great topic! When I was a teen [late 1970s], I would listen to the Who's album Quadrophenia and scream along with Roger Daltrey. Then a few years ago, I heard Bettye LaVette's version of "Love Reign O'er Me" which is perfect for my grown up recovering self. https://youtu.be/EJi6maTueSc

Elizabeth Jack

When I'm angry it's a lot of "Demon Hunter." 

Most of the time though, when I'm having a rough time I listen to "Fly Leaf."  My favorite song by them is, "Fire, Fire." (may be triggering if you have problems with your paternal figure, or your abuse was caused by alcoholic(s))

Bastille's, "Things We Lost in the Fire," is a great song to.     

ph0e

As a survivor of a sociopathic relationship, a LOT of pop music does it for me. Pop music has to be relatable, and unhealthy relationships are far too common in this day and age. That's my reasoning behind that, lol.

Anyway, I'm really into psychedelic music (simply the most interesting) and two artists really stick out to me that I was actually a fan of while I was still in that relationship... Kinda funny looking back on it, I really did know all along. Anyway, these artists would be Tame Impala (Seriously! Listen to Tame Impala lyrics sometime. They'll blow you away if you've ever been in a manipulative relationship) and, if I'm in a more depressed mood, I'll go with The Antlers. My favorite songs by each of them... Probably "Tame Impala - Music To Walk Home By" and "The Antlers - Director". Both insanely relatable songs for me, they give me chills every time I listen to them.

Edit: Okay, one more. If you want an album that's more obviously about a manipulative relationship, there's this one as well.

ukulelebadly

Quote from: ph0e on September 21, 2016, 08:30:19 AMSeriously! Listen to Tame Impala lyrics sometime.

I haven't gotten into Tame Impala, but a good friend gave the same recommendation, for the same reasons! I'm really into Amanda Palmer lately. Her piercing, funny, personal lyrics and punk style hit the spot for me (Runs in the Family is sometimes on repeat in my car. Some of her stuff is quite intense and not typically suitable for calming down). I also LOVE John Grant. I've been listening non-stop to his Pale Green Ghosts album for weeks lately--candid, personal, and painfully funny lyrics matched with luscious techno music. I put it in my ears when I need help with containment. (I'm the middle-aged woman shopping WalMart with earbuds permanently attached)

MarkD67

meursault

Dirge by Death in Vegas makes me feel kind of playful and aggressively happy. 
Lizzie - her version of Go Your Own Way really uplifts me.
Ok Go - This Too Shall Pass
If you like jazz at all, Wynton Marsalis has a half hour long song which is sort of a New Orlean's funeral for art called New Orlean's Function. 

Meursault

Isaac94

Hey all!! This is the first time I have posted on here and I just wanted to share one artist that has really helped me keep chugging along when I just want to give up.

The artist's name is Crywolf and his best album is is only full album released so far called "Cataclasm".
If you want one specific song off the album listen to "Anachronism"
The genre is Indie/elecronic. Crywolf writes, sings, and produces all his songs. He's pretty amazing!!

Three Roses

abnvon

Hello, I like the song "linkin park" too,,when I was very tired I listen to "style" and "closer" nowadays.I like most of the jazzy styles because they can wake me up..But one time I lost all of my songs in my iPhone you know every songs need to be paid to upload..and I remember the tool that can recover music of iPhone Iphone Music Manager and all of my musics come back!!!! I am so happy and grateful with it..

T3b+

Hi Everyone!

New here and have to say this forum is amazing as are all of you! Music is a very powerful and healing force indeed. It has been my " savior" through much of my traumatic experiences. Being a musician ( Classical, Jazz, Blues, Progressive guitar) I've seen it change many lives for the better. I've been reminded as of late of this. It has been the only positive "constant" in my life through the years. Pretty epic to see it healing other lives as well!  :applause: