Hit a bump

Started by Three Roses, September 12, 2016, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three Roses

TRIGGER TRIGGER
I've been having a spectacular day! My mood is happy, I'm thinking clearly, I have lots of energy.

Then, husband has an issue trying to get something to work and comes into the room where I'm reading, repeatedly. He tells me what's going wrong. He walks out, walks back in. I make suggestions but in the end I just fix it for him. I try to explain for future reference so he knows how to do it, and he tells me that's what he'd done already. I say, then why is it working now, but not before? Now he accuses me of not believing him. He storms off.

Now I'm in a flashback. I've got an insta-headache. My energy is gone, my mood is foul. I'm not happy.

Time to practice how to get myself out of a flashback! I open the book I was reading - pete walker - and turn to the 13 steps to stop a flashback.

It works! My headache is better, I feel relaxed, and my mood is elevated. Hey, this stuff works!! :D

Rhino Warrior

Learned Helplessness is a powerful means of manipulation...

sanmagic7

so glad you found your way out of that funk, 3roses!  yay!  it shows how far you've come in your own recovery that you can identify your problem, take the necessary steps to resolve it, and learn from the experience.  well done!

movementforthebetter

Good job Three Roses! That's awesome that it's working. I gotta get that book too. It sounds invaluable. Also good job even recognizing you were in a flashback!

Good luck with the hub. Learned helplessness triggers me, too. Wishing you strength in boundaries!