Feeling Overwhelmed

Started by moonlightnanana, October 06, 2017, 08:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlightnanana

I wasn't sure where to post this exactly but here it goes.

Since September I have been researching about all the different options for treatment. Recently, I found a youtuber who suggests that CBT and NLP treatments do not go deep enough to heal the trauma suffered by people who have CPTSD. What's more, she stated that they were actually harmful in that a lot of therapists present them under the guise that they can solve your problems in an efficient way.

I know I still have a lot of work to do before I really heal... I can't even access a therapist here because I'm not in America. But are CBT and NLP really harmful?

I was also wondering about the law of attraction... what are your thoughts on it? Is it wrong to be manifesting positive things in your life without fully healing from your trauma?

There's so many different ways to heal I feel like just researching about this all is distracting me from making real progress.

AphoticAtramentous

I'm sure CBT can be harmful for some people who've experienced trauma. Though personally, I've read books on CBT and they've all been rather helpful. There are certain sections that don't apply to me, or I feel they won't help me so I simply avoid them. I basically cherry-pick it and it's been nice, helps me a lot.
I'd say perhaps to  just choose whatever feels appealing to you at the moment, and if you get into it and feel it's not helping much, then you can try something else. Maybe? Not sure. But I hope you'll find some guidance with it all soon. ^^

Sceal

Are there no psychologists or psychiatrist in the country where you're at?

As far as I've understood cognitive therapy is more or less a part of all sorts of therapy. Some therapists use it more than others, it just depends on what they've been trained in and what they believe is working. Psychology is an ongoing science, it keeps exploring and discovering new ways to help patients. The good news is that humans are adaptable, meaning more than most likely - there are more than one kind of therapy that will help you recover. There probably wont be one perfect one that heals it all, which I believe is good.

I don't know if this is very helpful.