The Power of Words in Search of Recovery...

Started by woodsgnome, September 30, 2016, 09:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsgnome

I know of a high school that presents a new t-shirt each year to the entire student body. The plain and softly coloured shirt features a single word on the front, and on its back a short additional script related to the featured word. This year's word-theme struck a chord with me, as I'm experiencing some pretty deep therapy which recently witnessed my feelings sink lower than I ever thought they could.

So when I heard about this year's shirt, and compared it with what I still need to overcome--well, it lifted me a fair bit; enough to where I feel like I want to incorporate its message into my own re-parenting process. Sometime it's called recovery, for lack of a better term; even if it seems like a dim, flickering, almost extinguished sense of any real hope. Even the term recovery is suspect--if I never experienced love, for instance, what would I be returning to, recovering? As often happens, I've digressed a bit, a sign of my hyper-alert panicky trait of needing to explain myself to myself, let alone to others. So back to the shirt story.

The front of this year's shirt bears this word: WONDER. The back reads this way: Be Amazed, Be Curious, Be Creative. This may have been issued for a few hundred teens, but it's totally what my Inner Child needs to hear, too.

I like to play with words, and when I look at this one again, I find it an inspiring message to consider. Then it hit me-- :doh:--wonder can be modified to wonderful and further transformed into WONDER-FULL.  :bigwink: With that, I think I can begin to pull myself out of where I've been lately. I may not be recovering anything, but perhaps I can discover something even better.

Hang on--Inner Critic is pounding at the door..."let me in, you idiot! Fantasizing again, eh? Trying to change the very words we all use...Hah! Everyone knows that's bucking the world the way it's supposed to be, dreamer that you are...and..." I SLAM THE DOOR AND LOCK IT...and grin at the sudden peace that fills my being. Standing up to the Inner Critic...for me, that's huge! And wonder-full.

movementforthebetter