ANXIETY PROCESS

Started by Sandals, November 12, 2014, 01:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandals

Another one from my T. This is more focused on *accepting* the feelings that you have. Especially with anxiety, we often try to work against these feelings, which ends up exacerbating them. Focusing on accepting the feelings and really *feeling* them within us can help to raise our emotional awareness and keep them manageable.

ANXIETY PROCESS from this Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_jtsCgwcp4
***I added a few more questions etc, as you will see below...

How about print these steps out so you have them. Just five minutes of your time and you will be building knew neural pathways (habits) towards not only managing anxiety but ending/healing it! 

Close eyes
    Bring your focus to the inside of your body and identify the sensations within you
    Choose the one sensation u identify and/or connect the most with your anxiety to focus on
    Take some time to focus fully on this one sensation and note where it resides within you
    Give this sensation some characteristics:  What shape is it? What color is it? How big is it?  How old is it? Does it make a sound? How heavy is it? On a scale from one 1_______10 how strong is it right now?
    In your mind and in your body say to it:

"Sensation I see you"
    "Sensation I feel you"
    "Sensation I can handle you"
    "Feeling, you are ok to be where you are"
    "Energy, I let you be as you are" 

Now, ask yourself again: On a scale from 1____10, how strong is the anxiety now?

***If still high/unmanageable do it again...

schrödinger's cat

I gave it a shot and hey, it works. Nice and calming. Even if the fear is still there afterwards, it's somehow less scary... so the fear of the fear lessens a bit (if that makes sense?). I'll definitely print that out. Thanks for posting that.

Sandals

Totally makes sense - good for you for giving it a try and happy to hear it helped. You're really brave to be able to use and do it, I find this to be a hard exercise.