Sand Tray Therapy?

Started by SaraDurga, October 27, 2016, 02:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraDurga

Has anyone heard of or engaged in Sand Tray Therapy?

Thoughts, reviews?

TIA!

sanmagic7

i've heard of it.  from what i know, it involves choosing figures of all different types and representations, and the therapist interpreting your choices.   i don't know if it solves any problems, per se, but it seems to possibly help with realizations, which can later be targeted for therapeutic exploration. 

here is an excerpt i found:

Adults who have been traumatized, or who cannot express their emotional state verbally or through other cognitive means of therapy, respond well to Sand Tray Therapy. The environment presents an atmosphere free from threats, violence, and retribution, and the client is capable of acting out any scenarios that present themselves. The therapist works with the client to alter the positions of the miniature objects as representations of the true people and events. By beginning to facilitate change on a symbolic level, a client gains the courage and ability to recognize that these same changes can be made in their own life.

it seems to be non-threatening, and will probably have different levels of relevance and encouragement toward change for different people.  if you're being offered the opportunity, i think it might be worth a shot.  you can always stop it if you find it to be a waste of time.  just my opinions. 

Saule

I did something similar to this with my therapist once. No sand involved, but she got me to pick a whole lot of different objects/figurines to represent different people in my life, and then place them on a big piece of paper with emanating circles on it. The 'me' figurine was in the centre of the circle, and I put the other figurines at different places depending on where I saw them in my life. Then I moved them to where I wanted them to be rather than where they currently were. It was a really helpful way to talk about my family and friends and my relationships with them, and things I'd like to change. I remember at the time I was having particular trouble not dissociating during therapy, and this approach was really non-threatening and meant I was able to stay present for the entire session.