what's in a name? (Part 1)

Started by sanmagic7, October 31, 2016, 11:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Blue

I never looked at this thread before but stumbled across it today while trying to keep my mind busy.

My name comes from the color of a sapphire stone. Sapphire is my birthstone and also in my engagement ring.  It is a single sapphire with a circle of diamonds around it.  Blue is my favorite color and I have always felt drawn to it.  People have described my eyes as a deep Blue and my feelings are often a deep Blue as well.

Roe Lee

I am an Asian woman in construction and i feel like this trait really does define my character. i.e. you can probably guess what kind of female i am haha!

When i first joined the company, i saw the name Roe Lee on a document i glanced at on my boss' desk. I'd come in straight from uni and was (still am) desperate for representation within my industry. I never see women on site and they're always in the office unlike me. Don't even get me started on being a minority on top of that. Roe Lee was (to me at the time) a name that gave me hope. A sense of untapped opportunity. Almost an imaginary friend. I spent weeks silently scoping out this fabled "Roe Lee" and i didn't ask anyone about her because i was too shy. I imagined meeting her and befriending her and that she would make me feel safe and protected in this "Man's World". I imagined telling her about my cptsd and imagined she would be the pillar of support i needed to brave being the New Girl at work. Social corporate settings are not my forte. I wanted to meet Roe and i wanted us to be friends.

Alas, I found out that Roe Lee was a name of a site, not a person. I was mildly disappointed, but I ended up laughing at myself. Was i being hypervigilant or just very very hopeful? Was i projecting? I felt like i was reliving the lighter moments of my childhood again. The name was no longer a representation of Hope, it was a reminder of Joy.

And now i'm here, trying to spread these emotions. I love you guys.

All my love,
Roe.

sanmagic7

i'm so jazzed that people continue to share on this thread.  your names tell so much about you, hopes, dreams, realities in your lives.  thank you so much for continuing this.  you all are so very beautiful, and my heart bursts with love at the thought of you.  thank you for being you.

GarlicMaster

Mine is a little odd I guess. I chose "GarlicMaster" as a celebration for me learning how to cook when I finally left home. My parents never taught me how (even when I asked), so learning to do so was a mini victory for me and my independence. I have always loved garlic so I thought, I know, I'll be the GarlicMaster! lol.

Deep Blue

Garlic master I think that's really cool.   :hug:

Not Alone

I never saw this post before. Thanks for pointing it out, Kizzie. I really enjoyed reading the reasons people chose the names they did.

My name, Not Alone, has a couple of meanings. There are people who support me, to various depths; therefore, I am not alone. Jesus will never leave me, so I'm not alone. Also, I have Little Parts inside (DID), so internally, I am not alone.

Snookiebookie2

Oh you all have beautiful and meaningful reasons for your names.   Thank you for sharing.

My name is a pet name or nickname that my husband uses.  He gives everyone silly nicknames that he uses constantly.  And as hes a little childlike, they have silly, playful reasons behind them.

I had a really bad cold and I was sniffing a lot. Which my husband called 'snooking' as opposed to sniffing.   Then he called me 'The Snookeroo' which I found sweet and funny.  That got shortened to Snook, which over the years became Snookie. Then it became Snookiebookie.  The name has stuck for almost 20 years.  He still calls me different variations of the name now.

I like being Snookiebookie,  it's like a sweet childlike name.  It's kind of stepping away from the harsh realities of life and being a child.  I don't feel I was ever allowed to a child really due to how my parents were.

sanmagic7

so lovely to see more names being shared here.  the meanings we've assigned to our names on this forum often feel like some kinds of representation of the things we love,  or wish for, in one way or another.  the variety of names and reasons continue to astound me.  we all are so very clever! much love and hugs all around! :grouphug:

Snowdrop

I didn't know about this lovely thread either.

I chose Snowdrop as snowdrops always give me hope. They flower in the middle of winter, and seeing them always makes me feel happy. Snowdrops know that Spring is on the way, even if nothing else does yet.

Bach

"Bach" is an endearment in the Welsh language.  A number of years ago I was spending a lot of time in Wales in connection with a project I was working on.  It was an optimistic time for me, and I loved it there.  I made some good friends, and dreamed of moving there permanently.  That didn't happen, but the name reminds me of the better version of myself that I am working to create. 

Tee

I would have been just T but I had to make my name at least 3 letters.  But I never had a nickname and T was my first nickname which is what I rather be called than my real name cause I gave my real name to my fracture that I gave control of my life when I was young and couldn't be perfect.

Violet Magenta

I was born into a tense and sometimes explosively violent situation. But my earliest memory is a happy one. I had been placed in an upstairs room, empty except for my crib. The late afternoon sunlight came in through a set of three windows. I remember the bright magenta colour of the carpeting, the sunlight forming rectangles that moved slowly across the floor. As evening approached the shadows were violet. It was so beautiful, and quiet. Colour and nature continue to be sources of respite, strength and sometimes even joy.

Kizzie

I love reading posts in this thread, we really are a clever and lovely bunch!   :yes:

If you're a new member and are ready to share, please add your post about why you chose the forum name you did. 

sanmagic7

these names represent, to me, so much hope, and something better that we can hang onto, even in the darkest of times. thanks so much for continuing to add to this thread - it really does bring hope and happiness to my heart, and, especially today, i was needing some.  love and hugs filled with thankfulness for all of you. :grouphug:

Pioneer

I really like this thread! It's neat to see individual personalities and experiences come out through the choosing of names.

I chose "Pioneer" partially because we recently moved our family across the country to escape our abusers and to navigate a new life for our family. I also chose it because there is a song by King and Country called "Pioneers" were the two (brothers) singers sing with their wives, seeking to break down negative barriers and choose forgiveness in their relationship. My husband and I experienced our relationship to become heavily manipulated and damaged by our abusers, and we are seeking to restore our friendship and trust with each other. So, we will sometimes listen to and sing the song together.

Most of the lyrics say:

I am here, you are there, lying side by side
Out of touch, out of reach in the great divide
Parallel lines, ooh
Hear the rain, count the drops on the window pane
Wide awake, stale mate, why do we play this game?
Oh God, I hate this game

Throw open the doors
You know my heart is yours
What are we waiting for?
Yeah

Let's be pioneers
And we'll build our home
In the great unknown
Yeah
Let's be pioneers

There's a song that we sang on our honeymoon
I remember all the words but forgot the tune