what's in a name?

• 49 Replies

Deep Blue

• View Profile
Re: what's in a name?
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2018, 12:09:28 AM »
I never looked at this thread before but stumbled across it today while trying to keep my mind busy.

My name comes from the color of a sapphire stone. Sapphire is my birthstone and also in my engagement ring.  It is a single sapphire with a circle of diamonds around it.  Blue is my favorite color and I have always felt drawn to it.  People have described my eyes as a deep Blue and my feelings are often a deep Blue as well.

Roe Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2018, 11:37:28 AM »
I am an Asian woman in construction and i feel like this trait really does define my character. i.e. you can probably guess what kind of female i am haha!

When i first joined the company, i saw the name Roe Lee on a document i glanced at on my boss' desk. I'd come in straight from uni and was (still am) desperate for representation within my industry. I never see women on site and they're always in the office unlike me. Don't even get me started on being a minority on top of that. Roe Lee was (to me at the time) a name that gave me hope. A sense of untapped opportunity. Almost an imaginary friend. I spent weeks silently scoping out this fabled "Roe Lee" and i didn't ask anyone about her because i was too shy. I imagined meeting her and befriending her and that she would make me feel safe and protected in this "Man's World". I imagined telling her about my cptsd and imagined she would be the pillar of support i needed to brave being the New Girl at work. Social corporate settings are not my forte. I wanted to meet Roe and i wanted us to be friends.

Alas, I found out that Roe Lee was a name of a site, not a person. I was mildly disappointed, but I ended up laughing at myself. Was i being hypervigilant or just very very hopeful? Was i projecting? I felt like i was reliving the lighter moments of my childhood again. The name was no longer a representation of Hope, it was a reminder of Joy.

And now i'm here, trying to spread these emotions. I love you guys.

All my love,
Roe.

sanmagic7

• learn something from everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
i'm so jazzed that people continue to share on this thread.  your names tell so much about you, hopes, dreams, realities in your lives.  thank you so much for continuing this.  you all are so very beautiful, and my heart bursts with love at the thought of you.  thank you for being you.

GarlicMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2018, 06:04:41 AM »
Mine is a little odd I guess. I chose "GarlicMaster" as a celebration for me learning how to cook when I finally left home. My parents never taught me how (even when I asked), so learning to do so was a mini victory for me and my independence. I have always loved garlic so I thought, I know, I'll be the GarlicMaster! lol.

Deep Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »
Garlic master I think thatís really cool.   :hug: