Splitting and bpd

Started by 89abc123, November 03, 2016, 02:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89abc123

So I'm still searching for a correct diagnosis. I don't know if I have bpd or cptsd. Sometimes I even think I'm npd. I'm very confused and I am making myself sick over this.

So apparently splitting is a bpd trait. I do this A LOT. Is it possible to still have cptsd and engage in push pull/splitting behaviours? I've also read that impulsivity is a bpd trait, but I've noticed that lots of cptsd sufferers have problems with addictions etc.

Any further info on splitting and how to not do it?

Three Roses

I'm not sure what you mean by splitting. I read a definition of it, though, and it seems to be something a person with cptsd could use as a coping skill.

Pete Walker "From Surviving To Thriving" (p. 8 ) says this about misdiagnoses;

"I have witnessed many clients with CPTSD misdiagnosed with various anxiety and depressive disorders. Moreover, many are also unfairly and inaccurately labeled with bipolar, narcissistic, codependent, autistic spectrum and borderline disorders. (This is not to say that CPTSD does not sometimes co-occur with these disorders.)"

And yes, addictions and impulsivity are common with CPTSD.

Compounding the difficulty of getting an accurate diagnosis of CPTSD, it is not currently listed in the most recent DSM. If you are dealing with a professional who is constrained by manualized protocols, if it's not in the DSM, it doesn't exist or can't be their official diagnosis. Still, a health care professional is the only one equipped to be able to give you an accurate  diagnosis. Wishing you luck. :hug:

89abc123

Splitting is when you love someone in the first stages of a relationship but then as time goes on you start to find faults with them and end up feeling resentment towards them instead of loving someone consistently despite their flaws etc. eg you could be totally obsessed with someone but then hate them after an argument or minor disagreement

Boatsetsailrose

I can so relate ... I have only recently got to grips with how I push and pull so easily ..
I can literally 'go off ' someone so quickly and push them away ...
I've dumped many friends because of this

Now I can see it I've stopped reacting on my split mind ... I can label it 'black and white and not act on it

I have cptsd I was bought up by a woman who seemingly has bpd - I don't think I have it but I have traits of it ..

I bet the chances are u are not bpd