Loneliness

Started by Nicole13130, November 05, 2016, 08:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicole13130

Hi,
This is my first time posting. My c-ptsd arose from workplace harassment. In the beginning, I was honestly terrified. I didn't understand what I was going through. Thankfully, I eventually admitted that I had a problem and sought help from therapy. I've still got a lot of work to do, but I am taking small steps forward which feel really huge to me.

One problem I have encountered is loneliness. I mean, I have a supportive husband and a caring family and I am blessed for that, but I kind of miss having friends. Unfortunately, my work was my world. When that world came crashing down, I lost almost every friend that I had. Most people were uncomfortable with my situation and my injury so they just stopped associating with me. A couple of people still talk to me, but  are distanced because I hurt them in my turmoil and frustrations. I really feel sorry about that.

Sadly, I miss those connections. I think finding connection is important in regaining some sense of control of my life. I don't expect to ever be who I was, but I don't want to be defined by this. I am still a person. I'd be interested in any advice anyone has in combatting loneliness, making new friends or even repairing damage done.

Three Roses

Hello and welcome, Nicole! We're glad you are here. :)

Loneliness is another frequently discussed topic here. So many of us have retreated, so to speak, and some find it lonely. But if you'd like to try to reconnect with some friends, maybe you and your therapist can come up with a plan. Maybe writing letters or emails, or an invitation to coffee?

And if that doesn't work, new friends can be fun too!  ;) I always meet such nice people when I volunteer.

Again, welcome to the forum, thanks for joining.  :hug:

Nicole13130

Thank you so much Three Roses. I actually brought up my relationships more in my last therapy appointment. It really helped to discuss some really honest feelings and frustrations that I have bottled up. I've contemplated volunteering and I think I'll make that a goal to work towards. After therapy I realize that I still have work to do before I can reach out and feel secure with new people.

Dee

I am also learning it is important to have something to keep you busy.  Not that I am sitting around the house all day (I am), but that isn't helpful either.  We all need something.  So I have enrolled in a ceramics class in January.  I'll be around people, but I don't have to concentrate on a lecture.  Also, I can choose to interact or not.  I also feel having it scheduled will help.  Right now I think of things to do, but then I don't do them.  For example, I have planned to go to the movies every day this week and have yet to go.  Having a commitment will help me a lot.