C-PTSD

Started by Melodie, November 08, 2016, 12:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melodie

I am just currently learning about C-PTSD. I have researched but I feel that reading about it is totally different than "talking" or reading about people's personal experiences. And honestly, I am confused. I know 'what' C-PTSD is...but the more I read posts from this site the more I don't know, I feel like.  :Idunno: I have a psychologist appointment set up for this week but in this past month alone I have had two different doctors tell me that I have PTSD. I feel like I have C-PTSD though because of the fact that my abuse/rap/kidnapping/sex trafficking started when I was less than 18 months and lasted until I was 12...And reading what I have read from medical websites there are two requirements if you will that you have to fulfill: 
                      -long time
                      -started at a young age
I found the above at a different website, but this is good information to support my thought process I think.

(http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/PTSD-overview/complex-ptsd.asp)
                                     What types of trauma are associated with Complex PTSD?

During long-term traumas, the victim is generally held in a state of captivity, physically or emotionally,
                                     according to Dr. Herman (1). In these situations the victim is under the control of the perpetrator and
                                     unable to get away from the danger.
                                     Examples of such traumatic situations include:
                                     Concentration camps
                                     Prisoner of War camps
                                     Prostitution brothels
                                     Long-term domestic violence
                                     Long-term child physical abuse
                                     Long-term child sexual abuse
                                     Organized child exploitation rings

And so I am very confused. What I have read here it seems that I have a lot of similarities of the people here, but why haven't I been diagnosed with C-PTSD? Did I just make up something....? Or haven't I been honest enough? I have a very hard time saying exactly what goes on. I tend to hide everything within myself. I just handle it or stuff it down so that I can function. And I am confused but at the same scared. I have decided to see a psychologist this time to help me figure out what it is that I do have while I go to a therapist on the side.  I just don't know...I have mentioned C-PTSD to a couple Dr.s I saw and they both nodded their heads but didn't say anything about it... ??? :'( I guess I will figure it out when I have my appointments.

Has anyone else had these issues? Or I am the only one?...

Dee

The problem is the CPTSD isn't in the DSM (Diagnostic Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders) and therefore doesn't really exist.  I think that means formally you cannot be diagnosed with it.  It was not included in the latest edition because it falls under PTSD and may even be a subtype (I'm not sure).  So for me I see both PTSD and sometimes PTSD-complex. 

Three Roses

(I typed this out before I saw Dee already replied, but here's my two cents ;) )

You are not the only one! Because cptsd was not included in the most recent DSM, it can be difficult for some people to get an accurate diagnosis. Your healthcare professional may be limited by his/her organization's policy and cannot give you a diagnosis of something that is not officially recognized in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders).

Check this link to see if you can find something helpful, for you or your T. :)

http://www.outofthestorm.website/downloads/