CPTSD and OSDD?

Started by Saule, November 21, 2016, 11:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saule

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I visited the forums. I wanted to ask if anyone here has or suspects they might have OSDD-1 as well as CPTSD. I've always wondered myself, but put it to the back of my mind as I felt the CPTSD label was plenty to deal with in itself! There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about OSDD online, especially the differentiation between DID or CPTSD. I think I've read pretty much every article there is to read on the topic now, and I'm getting a better understanding -- especially in relation to the Theory of Structural Dissociation of the Personality, that OSDD-1 is similar to CPTSD in that they both involve secondary structural dissociation. I guess you could say OSDD-1 just goes one step further on the dissociation spectrum.

Prior reading I did on OSDD-1 was quite clear on categorising what constituted OSDD-1a and OSDD-1b, and I ended up dismissing my suspicions as I didn't fit either of those criteria, rather I fit both! I've since been reading more on the topic, and there are people who talk about this still being OSDD-1.

This has all come up for me again after a particularly illuminating session with my T the other day where I discovered a child part of me who doesn't identify with my adult body and sees themselves as 'trapped' in my body. It's been quite a revelation to me as it puts my longstanding body image issues in a totally different light. Things seem to make more sense now.

Despite all this, I do feel that the distinction between the two (CPTSD and OSDD-1) isn't all that different anyway when it comes to the type of therapy I do or the work I do with my T, so really does it matter what my official label is? It's not like I'm going to start telling people I have OSDD-1 as well as CPTSD (CPTSD is difficult enough to explain, and I normally just say I have PTSD).

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

mourningdove

Hi Saule! So glad you are back.  :wave:

I was actually just thinking of starting a thread like this, because I fit with OSDD-1, too.

I just had to look up the criteria for OSDD again, as I always get the subtypes confused, and I found this page:
http://did-research.org/comorbid/dd/osdd_udd/did_osdd.html.

Wanted to say more, but I am getting some resistance right now. i will try to come back later. :)

annakoen

Thanks for sharing this, interesting read, I'm giving some thought to this. Going to discuss this with my T