Asthma as a cause

Started by MyselfOnline, December 23, 2016, 02:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyselfOnline

I made myself a list of events and situations that I think contributed to my condition. It's quite long.

First is childhood asthma. Do you think this is likely to be a factor for CPTSD? I suffered a great deal, it would strike out of nowhere, and chest infections were also common and much worse due to my asthma.

I know interpersonal causes are strongest, but my illness was a constant worry for my mother, who was completely unable to assist me effectively. I learnt helplessness and not having anywhere to turn. I withdrew so as not to experience her fear (in some ways, she gave my illness greater significance than I did). She also had a strong mistrust of doctors, which I think I picked up on. Asthma became part of my identity, and I recall feeling 'weak' and 'different' to other children because of it.

Mainly asthma seemed inevitable, horrible, made me a problem to others and I felt helpless.

Three Roses

Hello and welcome, GJ! Glad you're here.

I think certainly childhood illness could cause ptsd, altho I'm no expert. For complex ptsd, however, I'm not sure it fits the definition. It will be interesting to see what others think.

In any case, welcome, thanks for joining.  :)

woodsgnome

I had chronic childhood asthma that seemed to worsen over the years, and I see links all over that were either causal or exacerbated by what I now recognize as cptsd-related. In short, I have no doubt asthma was a huge contributor, probably even more than the merely scientific explanations.

The obvious connections with emotions have been studied, and many indications point in 2 directions--at best these emotional factors are a contributor and in worst-case scenarios emotions run amok can trigger asthma, similar to how certain memories can trigger emotional flashbacks--these can then turn around and lead to asthma in a vicious cycle; then panic sets in and things can spiral from there. If the asthma is tied to the flashback memory (even if the asthmatic is unaware) the emotional connections are endemic, and sadly almost inescapable in some cases.

Yes, there are the usual environmental causes too, but in my experience they were not as often or as stifling as the emotionally induced; and/or one fed the other. In my own case, I ended up ignoring medical advice as I got older, moved far away from the FOO and childhood environs, to a remote area all docs said wouldn't be good, and in a short time my asthma got much better. The only logic for me is that away from the emotional layers...well, it's too obvious.

Much of my asthmatic/emotional connections were also tied to my relationship with the m (sorry, that's my easier way to think of her). She 1) abused me, often setting off asthma in the ensuing emotional overwhelm, and  2) then inexplicably ignored me when asthma did result. If this happened at night, I was set in a chair by the f, never the m; not held, not anything--just left alone (he did give meds at least). I felt resented and rejected for an illness I couldn't understand, and that reinforced abandonment; I was held together only by the meds. While the f took all the actions, at first, he too disappeared in short order. Just the memory of those times can still be felt as I notice my breathing restricting at the memory.

So while the circumstances regarding the parental factors may be different, to answer the question of did the asthma intersect or contribute to the cptsd--in my case I'm sure it was a huge factor and added layers of suffering, pain, and grief. Asthma does indeed have environmental connections, but the emotions that surrounded what was the case for me are too obviously connected to not affirm that it may even have been the major cause of many episodes. Even, as I hinted, just in memory I can still recognize the connection.

I totally concur with what you say, GJDavies, that "Asthma became part of my identity, and I recall feeling 'weak' and 'different' to other children because of it...Mainly asthma seemed inevitable, horrible, made me a problem to others and I felt helpless." Too true.

MyselfOnline

Interesting stuff, Woodsgnome. I have also read how family-stress factors may induce asthma, that even in pre-verbal (and pre-remembered?) infant states, a disrupted family environment increase the likelihood a child develops the condition. But I think it is also a very isolating illness, and very hard to imagine from the outside (estrangement?). It makes us helpless, and it is always there in potential, as a pitfall, over the years (a trap, an ongoing threat?) so even without the interpersonal aspects I think it is a complex and layered trauma.