Dreams and other thoughts

Started by Hope66, December 24, 2016, 08:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dollyvee

Hi Hope,

I found this dictionary to be helpful sometimes discerning themes etc. Maybe you might find it useful too.

http://m.dreammoods.com/site/dreammoods/o?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dreammoods.com%2Fdreamdictionary%2Fo.htm#2613

dolly

Hope67

Hi Dollyvee,
Thank you.  I tried to look at that link, but it had a code saying '403 Forbidden' so I couldn't access it.  But I do appreciate you taking the time to try to give that link to me. 
Hope  :)

dollyvee

Hi Hope,

Oh that's strange, I can access it but it says unsecured. It is a safe site so that's odd.

Operation

To dream that you are having an operation suggests that you need to get something out of your system or cut it out of your life. Perhaps you need to let go of something or change your habits.

To dream that you are operating on someone indicates that you are facing some deep issues or dealing with some repressed thoughts.

To dream of a military operation suggests that you need to approach some issue or situation with discipline, precision and planning. Do not rush through your decision.

*Please see also Surgery .

Haircut

To dream that someone is giving you a haircut suggests that you are experiencing a decreased sense of power. You feel you are being criticized unfairly. Alternatively, your dream haircut symbolizes a fresh start. You are shedding off some unwanted aspect of yourself.

Hairdresser

To dream that you are a hairdresser suggests that you are imposing your ideas and opinions on others.  Perhaps you need to work on your self-image and improve on your image. Alternatively, it refers to your attitude toward your own sexuality.

To dream that you are at the hairdresser implies that you are looking to change your attitude. You are ready for change and move in a different direction.

dolly

Hope67

Hi Dolly,
Thanks very much for taking the trouble to put that information up for me, I appreciate it.  It looks interesting. 

Last night I dreamed that a friend of mine had achieved something that I would have liked to have achieved myself, and I wondered why I was dreaming about that friend in that way.  She never did that particular thing, and neither did I, but of the two of us, I would have been more likely to have done it.  This made me think about things that I could have achieved, but never did.  Also, think about how I perceive my friend and what she's done in her life.  Interesting.

I spoke about the dream in more detail with my partner, and whilst I spoke about it, I ended up crying and very upset.  He was helpful to me, as he helped me talk about some of my feelings, and I found that doing that helped me to feel better and to enjoy the rest of my day more.  So that was good.

Hope67

12th February 2022
My dream last night was a bit like a 'night terror' but it felt more like a nightmare. 

Trigger warning - mentioning assault

The dream was such that I was in a house and was attacked by a man with greasy hair, couldn't see his face.  He assaulted me sexually.  I didn't know who he was. 

After I woke up, I found I was really in pain in different parts of my body, and also shaken up emotionally.  I took quite a while to re-ground myself into the here and now.  But I felt like it was less like a night terror and more like a bad dream/nightmare.  Somehow I was able to feel like I could feel more in control, even though I couldn't stop the sexual assault.

I don't think this makes sense, but I also don't feel so scared by it, as I would have been by a night terror.

paul72

Hi Hope67 :)
That sounds awful... though I am glad you didn't feel so scared.
Please forgive me if this doesn't relate or isn't helpful...
I had one very bad recurring flashback and the last time with it I was in more control (still limited but not frozen). It ended up being the last time with that memory, at least as far as flashbacks go. I wonder whether it was because I was able to move in it.
Thank you for sharing and I'm sorry you are having nightmares but hope there is something wonderful to come from it for you :)

Hope67

Hi Paul72, I realise you wrote your reply quite a long time ago now, but I wanted to say that I did read it previously (sorry for not responding before now!) and found it to be a really helpful reply.  Thank you so much.  I recognise what you're saying, about being more in control within a flashback, and it does seem to be helpful.  I relate to what you said.

26th January 2024
I am back here in this 'dream journal' quite some time after I first started writing in it.  I wanted to just copy what I'd written in my 2024 journal about dreams, which was:

"I've noticed that my dreams have been still focusing on the theme of packing and trying to get away from something in a limited time frame, but instead of feeling completely out of control with that process, this time there are people from my life who are supportive, and they are featuring within the dream, and they are helping me to get away.  So I think that's a very positive change to that particular kind of dream.  I must feel like I have support in my life - and I acknowledge that I do!"

I also wanted to just briefly write about a dream I had last night - which took place in my work environment, bearing in mind I've not worked for a few years now!  But I think I was in my 30's in that dream, I seemed to think that I had given birth whilst at work (bizarre I know) and that my baby was being kept in an incubator with two other babies.  I was working at a desk in a communal area, and wondering whether to take time off to care for my baby at home, or whether to still work on, and hope to manage both things!  I also seemed to think I already had another child, whom I had given birth to when I was 32 years old.  I think I was 36 years old in the 'dream'.  I was surprised by the exactness of the thoughts about the ages.

I also felt like the birth had been a positive experience.  I was very happy to have my baby and my other child too.

I don't have any children, so wonder once again why it's featuring in my dreams just now.  But I was also surprised to see a work environment surfacing too - and feelings of how much agency and control I had over how I was spending my time there.

Anyway, I am hoping to continue to add to this 'dream journal' when I remember to do so, as I like to see the evolvement of themes and content over time.

Hope67

Yesterday I re-read a lot of this thread, and noticed that the theme of births has come up quite a few times for me now - more than I realised!  I seem to 'forget' that I've written about these things previously, and so when I see them again, I think 'Wow' 'Did I write that?'

I wanted to add that the number of night terrors have reduced considerably over the past year or so, and also that on one occasion recently when I experienced a night terror, my partner told me that instead of diving 'out' of the bed (which I sometimes did in the past), I had approached him and fallen into his arms (quite a quick motion which had woken him up and surprised him a lot), but we both discussed the fact that it's a more positive reaction (to seek safety in his arms) than to throw myself out of bed, and potentially injure myself.  That night terror was over Christmas, and to my knowledge, I've not experienced one since then. 

I've also noticed that my tending to mindfully notice my feelings of trepidation that surface at regular points in the night, with some concern and care for those parts of me that are feeling that way, has meant that the frequency of that feeling has also reduced, and I only notice it briefly now, and am able to calm and reassure those parts - who are then able to sleep, enabling the entirety of me to sleep.  I think that's really good.

Whilst I remember - I did have a dream last week which featured the equivalent of my MIL, who seemed to have come to our house and was sleeping in a room - but somehow her doing that meant that I wasn't able to sleep with my partner, and so she was effectively causing us to have issues and almost split us up!  I think that represents some anxiety on my part about my MIL's greater needs for support currently, and whether she will somehow affect my relationship by causing difficulties between us - but in the light of day, I think that we are able to discuss the best ways to support her, without her effecting our relationship in a negative way.  I know I wouldn't want anyone else living with us in our house - that's for sure!  There's no room, and also I feel unable to cope with the dynamics of that.  (yes, I think that's why it's been affecting my dreams - worrying a bit about that).  I shouldn't, because there's no reason for that to happen.  Also, my MIL is a nice person, and I recognise that sometimes I perhaps project feelings about my M onto her - when really, they are separate people and it's not fair to do that - but it does happen!

Hope67

Last week I had what my partner thought was some kind of nighttime disturbance, where he heard me talking, and I remember that he spoke to me in the night and asked me about it, and I told him 'Yes, I know what that was about! - I saw a green helium balloon float across the bedroom, and it was shaped like a green heart." So I must have been talking about that.  We both agreed that it was a much more positive kind of night-time experience than being pursued by something, or visualising other stuff that I have seen in the past.  A green love-heart balloon - I'm wondering what it might represent.  I think it's nice though!

Last night's dream was one that had a lot of stuff in it that was upsetting - I think I might have cried.  I don't know what the content was, except that it felt upsetting, but I just allowed myself to feel the feelings, and that was ok.