Do these treatments for PTSD really work?

Started by bring em all in, December 29, 2016, 11:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bring em all in

I saw a neuro-psychologist today and he presented options for dealing with/overcoming anxiety resulting from my PTSD.
One was "emotional freedom therapy," (EFT), which consists of tapping the body on certain meridian points-like acupuncture/pressure. There are several books on this and he said a therapist in his practice teaches it.  A Psychology Today article claimed it is one of the most effective treatments for PTSD. There are books and videos that purport to teach this technique as well.
Another was Low-level laser/light therapy (LLLT). Several websites claim it is very effective in dealing with anxiety and depression.
Has anyone had experience with either of these, or with regular acupuncture? How effective/ineffective was it?

Three Roses

i have heard of eft and hear that it can be effective. i've not heard of the other light treatment tho. and, i've actually had acupuncture once, and it did wonders for my anxiety & energy level. i imagine that it would be helpful for other things as well. the one treatment i had lasted about a week or so.

there are other treatments available too. one of them is called emdr. check out the "Types of Therapy" section of our site (http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?board=177.0) -  hopefully you can find some more answers there :D

bring em all in

Thank you, Three Roses! I'm still wading through all the features of this awesome website!

meursault

I was extremely skeptical, but I am finding acupuncure very helpful.  Just started it recently, and my life has been going through some major changes, so maybe it's not doing anything itself, but I think I'm getting a lot out of it.

Meursault.

bring em all in

Thanks, Meursault!

I'll post updates on my experiences (effective or not) with EFT for others' benefit, I start the second week in January.

Moonlighter

Hello

How did your treatment go?

Personally, I've discovered that aromatherapy, acupuncture, etc are great ways to get relief from anxiety and triggers, and some therapies work better for different triggers. Good luck!

Blueberry

I participated in a little course on EFT last year. I started reacting strongly, right away. I yawn a lot, in general I mean, when there's a resonance. I could do EFT all day and I wouldn't come to the end of my problems. I understood that it helps with anxiety but it doesn't heal the underlying issues. If it doesn't heal them, then how could it heal C-PTSD?

Last summer when I had very bad contact with FOO, I tried EFT but it didn't work at all, interestingly enough. There was zero resonance to it in my body. I was crying more or less continuously though, so probably there was no need to yawn. 

In the past I have been made to feel inadequate and incompetent (by some Ts and some fellow sufferers) because I didn't heal as others did using Method xyz. C-PTSD just seems so well complex that one method can't be a cure-all for everything and everybody. My T has tried out various methods with me. He decided against EMDR, tried brain spotting, and then we moved onto what might be called Screen Technique, but not TV Screen Technique. (Excuse spelling mistakes. These might not be the correct terms in English I live in a non-English speaking country.) I trust my T on this decision. I don't mean you or anyone ought to trust a doc or a T, but this particular T I trust.
Hope this helps somebody a bit.

radical

I've felt a failure for not responding to different treatments.  All we can do is keep trying until we find something that helps.  It doesn't make us better or worse for responding or not responding.  We are okay in and of ourselves and doing the best we can.

Take care.

meursault

I can't really put words in her mouth, but from what I'm understanding with my therapist, a lot of this stuff, from EMDR, to CBT, to acupuncture, yoga, exercise, Bodytalk, EFT are primarily good for symptom management (with the possible exception of EMDR).  They are things that are used to stabilize physically, mentally, and emotionally so that actual trauma work can take place.  She's said many times that the way she works is under the belief that interpersonal trauma must be worked through in relationships.  That's why she has an attachment-based approach, and is ALWAYS encouraging to me to try to date, even when I was dealing with the worst of the legal stuff.

When I'm stable enough and calm enough (sometimes it's weeks or months of instability), we tend to be pretty fluid in actual techniques.  It's slowly and subconsciously learning to feel safe around her and trust her, and have that sense internalized enough to then start working with other people too.   It's all in my relationship with her that the actual healing is happening, not in any particular technique.  Still, there's usually an element of inner child and IFS going on, but I think that's more because that's what I connect with personally to actually feel safe being vulnerable with her.

I'm pretty sure that's what's going on, anyways.

Meursault

bring em all in

I have found that EFT has been helping me get in touch with feelings and memories I have shunted aside for a LONG time. I have found it especially helpful for easing tension and sinus headaches and the stiff/sore neck and shoulder you get when you sleep the wrong way.

So far I have not had emotional/psychological relief from EFT other than finally confronting issues locked away. I'm keeping an open mind, but starting to think EFT has its limits for me.