Social Security (Welfare) Benefits

Started by MyselfOnline, December 30, 2016, 07:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyselfOnline

I've needed financial help often and for a long time, I don't cope well with regular work. I'm applying again at the moment.

Filling out the claim forms for state support triggers all kinds of fears. It is like being judged. There's a sense of being seen as a scrounger, or guilty before even being judged. It is a reminder of being helpless and dependent on a stern, uncaring entity.

The forms want rigid, yes/no answers. If, say, I had no hands, it would be easy to demonstrate that I needed help. C-PTSD doesn't easily fit into the tick-box lists that qualify a person for financial aid. So... I feel like I'm turning somersaults, performing, squeezing myself into boxes, fawning... it breaks down my self-esteem.

Do you get, or have you ever had, welfare support? What sort of angle did your claim take? Did it set off any triggers?

mourningdove

I'm sorry you are in such a desperate situation. :(

I get Social Security Disability Insurance in the USA. It is not enough to survive on, but it does (so far) stand between me and panhandling, for which I am grateful.

My application was approved on my first effort, and I think that part of the reason was that i had someone from an advocacy organization fill out the forms for me because I couldn't do it. I think it might be a good idea to try that route for yourself, because an experienced advocate might know which answers to give for those rigid yes or no questions. It might also help with the stress of having your life under a microscope.

I have heard that most people's claims get rejected on the first try regardless of what they do, so if that happens, then definitely try not to give up. Remember that the system is not designed to help people; it is designed to deny benefits - so the results of its determination processes have nothing to do with you as a person. That said - yes, it was crazy triggering for me to go through it all.

I know how hard it is to jump through all the hoops, and I wish you luck.  :hug:

MyselfOnline

Thanks, Morningdove.

Here in Britain, the system has been given a massive overhaul (with the aim of denying more people support, it seems) and this assessment is about moving from the old system to the new. It should be automatic, but I think they see it as a chance to do some weeding.

Good advice about seeking advocacy -- I had that the first time round. Less is available these days (financial crisis, austerity, charities struggling). Worth looking around though.

Fingers crossed. I'm the emoticon with bricks on its head right now.

I appreciate your good wishes.

Dee

Everyone I know who has received SS benefits has hired a lawyer.

Good luck!