PTSD Memoirs

Started by alovelycreature, November 20, 2014, 03:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alovelycreature

I see a lot of people on here like reading. Does anyone have any books that have helped them on their journey? I thought it would be fun to share/talk about.

Here are some of mine:
The Glass Castle
Stitches (graphic novel)
The Tricky Part

voicelessagony2

The only book I have read so far that is really related is one I think we all know about, Pete Walker's cptsd book.

I'd like to find some books written by people who have experienced this and written about their recovery, are any of the titles you mentioned suitable?

alovelycreature

They all are about recovery, to some extent. I think for most people it's a lifelong journey.

The Glass Castle is a very quick read. It's a true story about a girl who grew up in a dysfunction family. The book details her childhood, and she does discuss how she found a place to accept her dysfunctional parents. The story is pretty sensational.

The Tricky Part is about a man who was SA by an adult and he discusses how it influenced his relationships, thought patterns, self talk, etc. I enjoyed this book because I felt the author had a similar thought pattern to myself. It was comforting to me because I felt similar struggles.

Stitches is graphic novel about a guy who developed PTSD due to his family lying to him about a medical condition he had.

David Sedaris writes a lot about his dysfunctional childhood, but in a funny way. I personally don't find the books funny. Tons of people like him. I think it just hit too close to home. I'm not at a point in my journey where I can find humor in my experience maybe.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened is another humorous memoir of a woman who is trying to navigate life after her bizarre childhood. The audiobook is GREAT. Hearing her read the book makes it more funny because she's very eccentric.

I listen to audiobooks all the time because I drive a lot for work. I also listen to them while I take a walk or clean. Audible.com has a subscription for $7 a month. If you like to read I think it's a pretty cheap way to go.

Hope that helps! :)

voicelessagony2

OMG audible changed my life! I started listening to books a couple years ago during my commute, instead of music, and WOW what a difference!! I'm an audio book addict!

globetrotter

I read Glass Castle. It was a tough read...emotionally.
Let's Pretend..laugh out loud funny. It's healthy to laugh at dysfunction sometimes.
The chapter with the turkeys? Killer!
As an SA member, I'll have to check out the Tricky Part. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rain

I've added the "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" to my reading list ...laughter is welcome.    What we all went through is so ridiculous.

I woke up this morning wondering if any of us --for the adults were are today-- would have chosen our family members even to be friends, IF they had not been our family members.   

Yet, we attempted to jump tall buildings in a single bound if they would just simply accept and love us.

alovelycreature

So true Rain. I've actually had these conversations with family. Amongst my siblings we are all insanely different from one another regarding temperament, interests, etc. However, we all have a basic respect for one another as other humans. Now that you say that it seems interesting that myself and siblings all just accept one another regardless. Must have been a healing technique for us. Thanks for the insight :)

Whobuddy

Good to know I am not the only Audible addict. I can get so much more work accomplished while listening to a book. Don't know why, just know it is true.

globetrotter

I missed you mentioning David Sedaris. I absolutely love him especially his early work. "Naked" and "Me talk pretty one day".