First post - trigger event in public press - numb

Started by Lycurgus, January 07, 2017, 03:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lycurgus

Hello all.  This is my first post, so I apologise in advance.

I went through what I perceived as a very traumatic event around a year ago, which lasted for 8-9mths.  My family dismissed my emotions at the time, and I was pushed towards a diagnosis of borderline traits.  I believe I may have CPTSD

The event in question was recently reported on in the public press, I was named, and this article was sent to a large amount of my contacts and friends.  I now feel emotionally numb - like, absolutely no emotions or feelings about anything at all - and this has lasted for 4 days now

Should I be worried about this? 

Thank you in advance

Three Roses

Hello and welcome, Lycurgus!

Whoever sent that info to your contacts really crossed a major boundary, imo.

Here is a helpful article on feeling numb, http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/c/84292/103830/depression/

An excerpt says: "I feel that this symptom results from feeling overwhelmed and overburdened by life's challenges to the point where you just can't feel anymore.  You are too tired and weary to emote.  It can also be a protection against feeling too much as in after a trauma.  It can be the process of shock where we simply cannot take in the emotional reality of what is going on.  The mind is protecting itself from too much pain."

In any case I'd say that feeling numb is certainly something a lot of us here can relate to, and while I don't think it's necessarily something to worry about, it's definitely uncomfortable and a symptom of something you may need to look at.

I'm glad you're here, thanks for joining!

Dee

I don't think you should worry about feeling numb.  I have gone through several periods of this myself.

However, I cannot imagine the horror of being named in media.  I struggle because I know my past can be dug up if someone wants to.  This bothers me a great deal and it is nothing like actually having a name in print.  I cannot express the amount of compassion I feel for you.

Do you have a therapist?  It is not uncommon for someone to be misdiagnosed that has CPTSD.  It is also possible to have both.  It is important that you find someone who has an understanding of CPTSD.  The numbing is normal, but not really healthy.  It is what you need to do right now to survive.  You need someone to help you process this.  We are here for you too!

Lycurgus

Thank you Dee and Three Roses - I really appreciate your thoughts and input - that helps a lot

I don't have a therapist yet - I'm trying to find someone suitable.  It's complicated that my symptoms have led to a borderline traits / BPD diagnosis, so I've taken a DBT course.  Because it's family-related, it's very hard to express that this isn't me that's *broken*, but that it's caused by something else

The HealthCentral article is great - thank you