Brain fog ... what to do ?

Started by Boatsetsailrose, January 07, 2017, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatsetsailrose

Hello
I have on going issue with brain fog as a side effect from ssri
Now what am can I do about it is the question ?
I'm upset everyday from this and it's effecting a lot of aspects of my life ..
Concentration problems, retaining information , brain alertness and enjoyment of using my intelligence
Generally I am so controlled by the drug I can't actually be bothered to do anything about it because 'what can actually be done ?
I've tried a few other anti dep and just haven't got on with them, escitalopram does work for me apart from the above mentioned
I have just read about taking a psycho stimulant such as Ritalin to counteract this but not sure how feasible this is or even if the doctor will go for the idea..
I feel ready to try anything in my desperation
It's a Rock and a hard place
Taking something that works but clearly gives such disabling effects too
When I came off the drug last yr I reallly became so ill, couldn't work and relapsed in addiction too

Any experiences, knowledge greatly appreciated

This brain fog is affecting my ability to work as a nurse and also pass my driving test

Dee

How long have you been on it?  It was my previous antidepressant and really worked for me for over a year.  It did take me a few months to feel normal.  I am now on Cymbolta because Lexapro seemed to have no longer worked.

Three Roses

When I first started my ssri, it took a couple of months for me to go from complete emotional flatlining to some variation in my mood.

Boatsetsailrose

Dee

I would talk to you doctor then.  My doctor is going to do genetic testing next time I go in to see how I metabolize medications.  This way he has a better idea what to treat me with and what dose I should get.  He asked me Thursday if I would do it and now he is ordering the test.

Boatsetsailrose

Thank u dee yes going to make an appointment
That sounds a good move - which country are u in ( may I ask ?

Dee

I am in the US, but I doubt it makes much of a difference.  He will swab my cheek and then mail the test into the lab that does it.

Boatsetsailrose

Thanks dee but it does make a difference in the us you pay for your health service through insurance right ?
We get national Health care and so something as you describe may not be possible ... but worth asking about

Dee

I have insurance yes, but it is federal.  Hopefully this will work for you, please let me know.

Eyessoblue

Hi, I just wondered, what are you taking? I'm on citalopram have been for 12 years and have the same symptoms. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist at the end of the month to change my medication as they think my body has got used to them and I need something else. I can no longer work due to brain fog which is so frustrating!

Boatsetsailrose

Hi eyes so blue
I was on citalopram ( been on and off it for yrs ) I more recently changed to escitalopram ( much more expensive drug) lucky NHS provide it. It doesn't have antihistamine in it and so I don't feel tired on it like I did on citalopram. It is feels like a much cleaner drug e.g. My heart doesn't bang on It , they have stopped giving it to the elderly as too much risk on the heart.
However, the brain fog is the same signing probs with concentration, retention and focusing ..
it's ok until I go to work that is the issue - working with lots of systems,computers, mass amounts of patient information , large job role - saying that I am handing my notice in and my does that feel good. There is nothing worse than struggling daily, feeding into an already high stressed nervous system and low worth.
Are u seeing psych in the uk ?

Eyessoblue

Hi, yes I am seeing a psychiatrist in the uk, as you are probably aware the NHS for mental health is very poor, Ive had to wait since November for an appointment and am still waiting to hear about an appointment to see a Trama therapist with the view of then having EMDR which again will be another wait, you can see why mental health problems are so big with endless waiting lists for everything. I could pay and go privately but am finding it really difficult to find a therapist that deals with cptsd/ trauma. Brain fog is the worse thing isn't it, I literally struggle to remember what I'm supposed to be doing from one moment to the next, when I hold conversations with people, I find myself drifting off on to different subjects without answering the first question, I see people giving me strange looks and then I realise I've drifted off the subject again! Interested to hear about your meditation although not so good that your symptoms are still the same. I've got my appointment on the 31st Jan so will be interested to see what he says.

Boatsetsailrose

I am assured that you are going to be seeing a psych and possibility of seeing a trauma therapist .. this gives me hope
May I ask how you went about it all
I am interested in having emdr

I spoke with someone yesterday who sees a private psych quarterly (£250) and they then write to Gp and do the recommending of what is required ..
London and the south east seems the most up on private trauma services

Boatsetsailrose

Please would you be able to share what he says at your appointment ...
I'd be so grateful

Eyessoblue

Yes I will post once I've been. I started off by seeing my GP as my depression was really bad and was unable to sleep. She recommended seeing a counsellor who is based at the surgery I go to. I was very lucky and only had to wait a couple of weeks. The therapist was lovely and I felt very relaxed with her, she told me she thought I was suffering with cptsd brought on by childhood issues. You generally are only allowed 6 weeks of counselling but she managed to give me 8 on the NHS. By the end of the 8 weeks she said she wasn't happy about leaving me with nothing so spoke to my doctor and said she wanted to refer me to a psychologist for long term help. I had to wait a month then had an hour and a half appointment with her where she basically did an assessment on me where I had to answer lots of questions and explain how I felt. At the end of it she confirmed that I had cptsd and deep trauma which made me have anxiety and depression, she felt my antidepressants were no longer working and as she can't prescribe she had to refer me to a Psychiatrist to discuss it with. In her written assessment of me she has referred me to a Trauma therapist and a follow on from that will be EMDR but it's all on waiting lists so have no appointment yet. The therapist at my doctors said that in exceptional cases she can offer long term therapy and in my case she had spoken to the doctor and it was agreed that she could do that, I was hoping I would have heard from the trauma therapist and wouldn't need to do that but I've been waiting for some help since the end of September and finding it increasingly difficult trying to cope alone with no help so I may end up going back to the first therapist so I can get some help whilst I'm waiting. I'll keep you updated, I live in the south of England and therapy is very expensive privately.