Physical Symptoms-Psoriasis

Started by Phoebes, January 10, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoebes

Over the last few years I have developed Psoriasis. I have tried nutrition and even more extreme ways of thinking I could rid myself of "skin" issues, like long term juice and water fasting. I have slathered with coconut oil, gone to acupuncture, and started eating an all plant based diet a year ago. Yet my Psoriasis continues to worsen.

I did go to the doctor and also a dermatologist who prescribed a cream and said keep lotion on it.

From what I have read, it is not a skin problem but autoimmune. And recently I read where psoriasis is a "mystery" to doctors, but is believed to be caused by stress and trauma. Has anyone here read this or experienced this? I've had a particularly stress-filled couple of years related to going NC and realizing and remembering a lot of trauma, and dealing with the complete and utter gas lighting and alienation of the family, twisted around on me of course. I have had bouts of suicidal thoughts and total shut-down, barely making it through my stay at home job.

Has anyone cured themselves of psoriasis? Being that I'm wanting to start dating at some point, I'm not feeling too attractive being that it is all over my neck, and well, "other" parts that I would not want anyone to see.

Phoebes

The other thing I forgot to mention is the constant aggravating, deep ITCHING is adding to my state of mind.

sanmagic7

i've also read that psoriasis is an autoimmune condition, like so many other illnesses with no cure.  all those commercials for medications that warn about not taking it if you have an infection, or that they can make getting an infection easier are immune-system suppressants.  it's the immune system working overtime on things that aren't threatening to our health.

at one point i was told i had a case of psoriasis, which is why i began doing research on it (it's basically the making of too many skin cells in that area).  and, yes, time and time again stress was mentioned.  i don't know that there is a cure, but i suspect (or want to believe) that as we move forward in recovery, eliminating as much stress as possible, our immune systems may be able to find their rightful place in protecting us.   best to you on this.  these kinds of things just suck.

Jdog

Hi-
As someone who got psoriasis at 18 months of age and has had it all her life, I can definitely understand your frustration.  I do also think it is an autoimmune problem.  I began injecting Enbrel a little over a year ago, and it has made a huge difference in my quality of life.  I had it on arms, legs, scalp, buttocks, and more.  Now, barely a patch and I no longer look like a sad Head and Shoulders "before" picture (and that stuff does no good anyways, IMHO).

So, try asking your dermatologist for Enbrel or one of the other biologics available now.

Best wishes.

Phoebes

Thank you all, and I am sorry you've experienced this too. It is so frustrating. I will ask about the Enbrel. I have heard of it. I think when I went, I was not having a bad flare-up at the time, and they said it was eczema. I tried to explain how the flare ups are very plaque-y with lots of flakes constantly forming, but they wouldn't listen. It has gotten a lot worse since then. I will go to someone else and ask about it. I hate using toxic medicines, but they have their place, and maybe it's time.

sanmagic7

phoebes, maybe you'll only have to use the medicine as a temporary thing.  i'm believing more and more that as i decrease my stress and increase the ability of my immune system to function correctly, a lot of my physical stuff will work itself out.  here's hoping!  and best to you that you get some positive results.  that would be great.

Jdog

Phoebes-

Best wishes, whatever you decide to do.  I don't like using things that mess with my system either, however the results are giving me such piece of mind and relief that I will take it.

Northern Soul

Stress certainly aggrivates and "causes" psoriasis. I have friend who uses "light treatment"...ie powerful ultra violet to keep hers in check, along with creams and good diet...I have it too and have found cortizone based creams help. ALL OF THIS must be done with the assistance of a good dermatoligist. So I suggest you start there. As for dating..anyone worth having will love you for who you are...psoriasis or not. If they don't they're not worth it. 😊😀😁 Best of luck.

Phoebes

Thank you all. Your support really helps. Yes, but it's not attractive. To me at least..lol It's true though. My love (from the past) had several ailments and I loved him no loess.

I eat a healthy, plant-based diet. I do drink alcohol some. I have gone completely alcohol free for weeks, even done 30 day juice fast and shorter juice fasts, water fasts with no result whites ever. I've tried creams from the dermatologist.

Which leads me to believe it is stress related because my stress, anxiety and depression skyrocketed after the experiences leading up to, and resulting in NC, and ever since NC. I went to a therapist who I guess played the game like she could work with me on C-ptsd and NPDm, and after a few sessions all she had was get over it an be positive. After I had told her my life story, she basically shamed me for it. That set me back because yet again I was proven right about therapists. Which is why I don't go. I'm sure there is one out there. One. But who has all the thousands of dollars to keep looking? This subject exhausts me. I know there are ways to get through this. And some wonderful life coaches out there. It's all just money I don't have. So I just watch youtubes, and they help some. I go through phases. But the psoriasis stays, and itches. What about a rheumatologist? I may try that next.

sanmagic7

dang, what a horrible experience with your therapist.  that shouldn't have happened.  i'm really sorry it did.

for the record, there are a few out there who do care, but it is like a crapshoot sometimes, and it does cost money to find out.  sucks.

hopefully you'll find some relief.  good luck.  i'm pulling for you.

Northern Soul

Sorry to hear that you can't find a good therapist and so sorry to hear that money takes priority over health. This is a world-wide EVIL !

I looked at my ointment for psoriasis.It's called Mometasone Furoate and it works for me. It contains salaslic acid, which I think is very similar to asprin believe it or not!!   As a kid I had it BAD but it got better in adulthood and now is only under my finger nails a bit and comes and goes. Psoriasis  is a very odd condition and my CPTSD doesn't seem to affect it...Very odd indeed.

meursault

I have psoriasis.  It gets worse in the winter or with stress.  Light therapy works absolute wonders for it in my case.  You stand in essentially a tanning booth, for about a minute, once or twice a week.  Mine clears up after about three weeks.  It surprised me how well it worked, after trying creams and whatnot unsuccessfully for twenty years. 

I don't bother going in there any more, and now keep it under control.  I bought an aquarium lamp, and a bulb of the correct wavelength as they use in the booth (Narrowband UV-B).  It isn't as effective as the booth, but it keeps it cleared up fairly well. 

It all depends on the type of psoriasis, though.  I have guttate and some plaque.

Meursault

Jupiter

Omg I had no idea psoriasis was stressed induced. I knew it is an autoimmune disease. Now I know why I got it.

Phoebes

Well, I am happy to report I finally got in to see a dermatologist, and eh said even though I have symptoms of Psoriasis, he thinks I have a form of eczema that flares up like that because it itches and I scratch. So he gave me some stuff to put on my scalp and other areas (prescription steroids) and told me to go completely free and clear everything (hypoallergenic). He said I cannot under any circumstance scratch. So, I have done what he said and my skin has healed enough to where I am not constantly itching. He said we will go from here but he really thinks it's just a bad eczema! So I'm kinda glad bout that. I have some painful bumps on a couple of knuckles which I was concerned about with psoriasis, but as it turns out that is from my high cholesterol.