Grieving and Rejoicing

Started by Jdog, January 16, 2017, 01:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdog

I just returned from 4 1/2 days away to attend the funeral of my dearest living relative.  The death was expected, as she has been declining for some time.  It was also good for her to be out of the throes of dementia as well as the pain from her rheumatoid arthritis, which could not be properly treated once she reached the end stages of the dementia. 

I have been through a lot of ups and downs this week, as one might expect.  The golden part of the experience, though, has been to realize that this outstanding lady - much loved by many people- also had many emotional difficulties yet her beautiful spirit was not tarnished by them.  It encourages me to continue on my healing path and to continue just being me.  My aunt always helped me know that I am "enough".  That is a wonderful gift, and one which I must continue to be able to give to myself now that she has passed. 

sanmagic7

it is a beautiful gift, jdog, one that can inspire all of us to remember to be ourselves - after all, we are the best of us.  i'm glad you had such a wonderful woman in your life.  big hug.

mourningdove

Sorry for your loss, Jdog, but happy that you had such a great person in your life.

:hug:

Three Roses

Dee

Sorry for your loss.  The awareness you have is wonderful.  She must have been a terrific person for you to be able to see it so well.  I am sure she would have been proud.

Wife#2

I understand the joy through tears - you may celebrate the life she had before the pain and dementia set in, but you also grieve that she 'left' before she died. It is so sad when we lose one of the truly good people in our lives.

Yes, having seen that she had struggles to overcome and chose to shine into lives around her can bring all of us hope! Thank you so much for sharing this part of her story. I am sorry for your loss in your daily life, but rejoice with you the woman that she was!

Jdog

Each of you has brought a smile to my face.  Thank you for your thoughtful comments, and for truly understanding the importance of such people in our lives.  I am still feeling dizzy from all the  have happened since the end of December - holidays, my birthday, the death, the upcoming inauguration that is leaving all of America in some form of trepidation.  Such times. 

Thanks once again.