Our Symptoms are not always Weaknesses

Started by Kizzie, February 21, 2023, 06:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

"The Strengths of Trauma Survivors in Times of Crisis: Why trauma survivors may function better than others during crises." (Jul 2022)
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/simplifying-complex-trauma/202207/the-strengths-trauma-survivors-in-times-crisis

I've always thought that we (trauma survivors) often do well in times of crisis, and it's important to recognize that our symptoms can be strengths, even if we might not want them and would cheerfully give our rights arm not to suffer from them.  But thinking about how they can continue to help us in certain ways may make them more bearable, not something I'd really considered before reading this article.

Trauma survivors may have distinctive internal experiences that may not be shared by those who haven't experienced trauma. It's these experiences that might provide you with an advantage in your ability to emotionally cope and function during crises."

There are many people who've experienced trauma who are having adverse reactions to the crises in our world. In fact, many trauma survivors report experiencing increased trauma triggers as a result of these events. However, there are also survivors who report feeling calm, prepared, and even empowered. Your experiences of trauma could be providing you with your own unique strengths.

Here's a personal example. I was really good at dealing with the requirements for keeping myself and others safe during the Covid pandemic, but I was very badly triggered by those who would not get vaccinated and picketed hospitals, drove around with freedom signs on their vehicles, etc.  The vast majority seemed horribly selfish to me, just like my family of origin. That took a BIG toll on me, but I see now that my ability to prepare and organize in the face of a potentially life threatening situation means I am still alive and kicking because I know how to survive.

woodsgnome

These little twists, turns, and even major surprises has often evolved from depths of anger and despair, for instance, to more acceptance (NOT at all the same as approval). Finally removed from so much of the deep sadness I felt trapped by, I've been able to discern navigating my own way out. It can be very slow, but it happens; all of a sudden one's outlook shifts, if one can stay open to its possibility (very hard but worth it).

While I'd never wish any of the things that occurred on anyone, I can see now how I've been able to build bridges to find more comfort for myself. As they say, it's still a work in progress, yet I've often been pleasantly surprised when I realize how far along I've come. Indeed, surprise has been a great teacher for me on this journey, aided by an enormous sense of humour which has been mentioned in a few posts on OOTS recently.

Kizzie

You have been on a journey alongside many of us 'senior' (referring to time in recovery not age  ;D ) members WG and have done a great job IMO.  :thumbup:  :applause:  :hug: