Today I am grateful for... (Part 1)

Started by Toby, November 24, 2014, 08:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsgnome

...a nice "trigger"...

Yesterday I had discussed on a thread the fear/insecurity I have dealing with adults. Last night a light bulb came on, though.

For several years I was involved with a pre-school program called head start. I was often commended for my work with the kids, but that was from adults and didn't mean much. Frankly, I didn't care about anyone's approval, I just felt so connected to the kids.

Lots of examples, but the one that "triggered" today's grateful vibe happened once when a friend and I went to eat at a restaurant in a nearby town. It was rather crowded, so I didn't look around at who was there, just where there might be an empty table.

No sooner was I seated, than a mother of one of the kids from the program came right over to me (I'd actually left the job at the time). Anyway, she grabbed my arm and said "there's someone here who just has to see you" and indicated I should come over.

And there was her son, totally BEAMING that he could see me again...that was such a cool reminder of someone I'd clearly accepted "love" from. Analyzing the ins/outs of it doesn't matter; it was just wonderful!

arpy1

DaisyMae

My experiences in Group Therapy (my OP program) and the T for reminding me the importance of gratitude!  I lost any sense of gratitude over the past 7 years and it almost cost me my life.   :sadno:

QuoteGratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.  Melody Beattie

I learned the art of gratitude from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and the Misfit Toys when I was 5 or 6 years old.  It is what sustained me through childhood, how I survived never being loved, being wanted by my family.  I was grateful for school and teachers.  I relied on them as parents as well as Rudolph and many other TV shows and musicians.  I am grateful for those hard times because it is how I developed my skill to self educate and parent myself the best way I knew how.  Gratitude gave me the strength to parent and educate my mother, brother, grandmother.  They will never understand and will never be able to express any gratitude in return but this is not their fault.  They are victims of their childhoods as well and never grew up, they really do not understand what it means to express or feel gratitude.  In the absence of self-worth, self-esteem, gratitude is what made me resilient and has gave me the strength to overcome each obstacle. 

:bighug: and lol, DaisyMae

KayFly

I'm grateful for a fresh new start in school this term. I'm grateful for a good attitude, and my very own new innovative techniques in managing stress. I am grateful to not be surrounded by hurtful people of the past. And I am very grateful for my hard earned progress, that is showing through to others and myself. I'm proud of myself today.

hypervigilante

My ability to reason and my ability to take care of myself.

tired

Having a spot of earth to myself where I can have a bit of comfort and try to recover from things.  Not many people have that.  I have a lot of alone time.

KayFly

I'm grateful I was just invited to be part of Honors Society at my college for academic achievement :)

Dutch Uncle

arpy1

KayFly

Kizzie

That's wonderful KayFly - congratulations! 

KayFly

JohnnyBoy

Today I'm grateful my writer's block broke lol, uh somewhat. Altho What I think I will be writing most wont be interested in.

MaryAnn

Cats & Dogs....  Volunteering at the no kill animal shelter has been the most calming and therapeutic experience.  Love is unconditional with them.  The anxiety goes away for just awhile, it feels like nothing can hurt me while I am there. 

MaryAnn ;D

woodsgnome

...news that a boy who inspired me is still making an impact 2 years after his death to osteosarcoma. Before he died, he recorded a song for his family which made it to YouTube and itunes, where it soon became "viral". At that time, he said he wanted ALL the money to go into a fund to fight the disease with the comment that "wouldn't it be cool if it made a million dollars?". That fund topped $1 million today, and the scientists working on it indicate progress...so I'm grateful that his dream of giving hope lives.
I originally posted his music here:

http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=2089.msg14491#msg14491