Vicarious feelins through music

Started by bring em all in, January 26, 2017, 05:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bring em all in

Much of the time I cannot verbalize my feelings. However, I have a large "library" of music and a song for practically any "occasion." It seem like I'm most in touch with my feelings when listening to music. Sometimes I wish when someone asks me how I'm feeling I could just say a song title or lyric- "It's not dark yet but it's getting there." "I wish I was the Warrior King." "I was in the house when the house burned down." "He's just an excitable boy." This would be an exercise in futility unless someone knew the same (sometimes obscure) songs I do.

I'm struggling to write a semi-autobiographical novel (titled, of course, Songs for All Occasions. In one scene the main character goes through an entire therapy session speaking only in song lyrics.

I guess vicarious expression of feelings isn't the best way to feel/communicate, but it is feeling and communicating nonetheless.

As for today, right now, coming through my headphones: "Mother did it (The Wall) need to be so high?" Pink Floyd The Wall album.

Three Roses

QuoteIn one scene the main character goes through an entire therapy session speaking only in song lyrics.

Genius!

bring em all in

Thank you Three Roses.

Lyric to describe me now is: "You know I will be loosened from the bonds that hold me back," from "This Is the Sea" by The Waterboys.

Three Roses

I'd like to share a song with you -

Fearless by Pink Floyd
You say the hill's too steep to climb
Chiding
You say you'd like to see me try
Climbing
You pick the place and I'll choose the time
And I'll climb
The hill in my own way
Just wait a while, for the right day
And as I rise above the treeline and the clouds
I look down hearing the sound of the things you said today

Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd
Smiling
Merciless, the magistrate turns 'round
Frowning
And who's the fool who wears the crown
Go down in your own way
And everyday is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his brow
You look down
Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd

bring em all in

Three Roses- I love that song, but I haven't heard it in ages!!!

I also find some comfort in their post Roger Waters song, "Learning to Fly"-
"A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Presently listening to Bob Dylan cover the Grateful Dead's "Alabama Getaway" and "Friend of the Devil" is next :)

jdcooper

I cried for 4 hours straight listening to music from my adolescence.  It's a sure fire way for me to work through my grief.  I guess I am deliberately triggering myself to get all this crap out of my system.