CLOSED - Online Learning Study at OOTS

Started by Kizzie, January 27, 2017, 07:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

As some of you may know I am a university professor at a university in Canada. I teach and supervise graduate students in the Masters of Adult Education program.  I am also involved in research as part of my employment and have chosen to investigate learning in online self-help forums such as OOTS together with the Dean of my Faculty, Dr. Rita Kop.  The title of our research proposal  is "It's Not Just about Support: Self-directed Learning in an Online Self-help Group."

The purpose of this research study is to investigate the nature and purpose of informal, self-directed learning (SDL) in an online self-help group in order to provide information to others (i.e., sufferers, professionals) who may want to develop and/or improve self-directed learning about a disorder/disease at an online self-help site. The data will also be used to improve learning at Out of the Storm (OOTS) specifically.                 

Participation will involve the completion of an anonymous online questionnaire which will take between 30 and 60 minutes to complete.  The questionnaire will provide data regarding:  your experience with Complex PTSD (e.g., diagnosis, causes, symptoms); what you have learned at OOTS; and, what you would like to learn at OOTS. 

If you are interested in participating please go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OOTSLearningSurvey.   There is additional information about the study there.   Study is closed.

Note: In order to ensure this research is conducted in an ethical manner, we have taken measures to preserve your anonymity.  First, the questionnaire is completely anonymous. Second, any communication about the study should be directed  to my colleague as follows:

Dr. Rita Kop - Telephone: 506 454-1220 #1379;  Fax: 506-459-3489; or, Email: rkop@yorkvilleu.ca

Should you choose to contact Dr. Kop, please be assured that she will not reveal any identifying information about you (e.g., your real or forum name, email address) to me. I have locked this thread to ensure anonymity of potential participants.

Kizzie

Thanks so much to those who completed the questionnaire, we appreciate you taking the time!!   :hug: 

We need about ten more responses so if you haven't filled out the questionnaire and are willing to do so, please go to https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OOTSLearningSurvey.

Kizzie

Kizzie

Wow, you folks are awesome  :yes:    We only need about two more respondents and we have our target.  Thanks again for helping with this  :hug:

Kizzie

You did it, we are 20 responses.  :thumbup: My research partner is surprised but I am not - you are an awesome community  :hug:

We will leave the questionnaire open until tomorrow morning in case there is anyone who still wants to participate.  After that we will close it and begin the analysis and write up.   The first draft report should be ready within a month or so.

THANK YOU ALL !!!!!! 

Kizzie

Well, it took a little longer than we expected, but here is the article we have submitted to an educational journal about online self-directed learning - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56983ac169492ecf0c7dc1c7/t/58ebfe38e4fcb5ffc5473aa6/1491861052237/SDL++Journal+Article++Apr+2017.pdf

We are also planning on writing a second article for a medical journal which focuses on e-mental health. 

Thank you once again to all those who participated, we greatly appreciate your help with this!