Brain Release

Started by Butterfly, November 25, 2014, 12:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterfly

There so much I've been processing related to nightmares and the headache I've had for five months now. (medical professionals are baffled and there is no reason physically for me to have such pain) I thought I'd share some of the research I did this morning on the various parts of the brain, their function, and I put some of this together with the self massage thoughts we had discussed here on the forum.

Somewhere along the line my body told me very specifically to cradle the side of my head where I was having very intense pain a particular day and to hold it in a very specific way. What happened was that tears simply started flowing, I was not crying, I was not sobbing, in fact I didn't feel any emotion at all except relief. About three more times since during my most intense headache I simply softly held a particular part of my head and the same thing happened, just a rushing release.

I've also been actively, and quite forcefully, massaging the part of my head that hurts the most. today while I was reading something here in the forum something clicked, I started looking up parts of the brain and their various functions and purpose. Guess what I found? The very area of my head with the most intense physical pain, the very part of my head that wanted to be held and cradled, is the very part of the brain that holds the emotions. Somehow I don't think this is a coincidence and I thought I'd share it here.

Rain

Butterfly, this is an amazing Journey, and story.    First, I am sorry for your pain at all levels with this.

And Bravo on listening to your body!!!    The limbic emotional brain.    There are no pain receptors in the brain ...and, yet you have this.   Stunning.

The tears flowing ...are you, by chance, having visuals memories, or other body sensations as the tears come?

Thank you so much for sharing.   I'm getting an ever bigger picture and understanding with gifts of sharing like yours.

Do you, or have you worked with someone trained in Somatic Experiencing?

:hug: to you Butterfly, and may your Head Ache and Heart Ache clear soon.

keepfighting

I am totally fascinated by this topic - if you are interested to read more I can recommend this book on the topic:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Are-Our-Brains-Alzheimers/dp/0241003725/ref=sr_1_1/275-7022742-9935763?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416917455&sr=1-1

I do not know where your headaches are coming from (obviously -  :bigwink:) but I understand a little what you might be going through. When I was 'deprogramming' from my cult experience, I had headaches for months - no physical reason. They receded little by little while I became more comfortable in my 'new' (= authentic, free of cult programming) way of thinking.

In a way, you are also 'reprogramming' your way of thinking and feeling while you're coming out of the FOG. Give yourself (and your brains) time to readjust and be comfortable again.  :hug:

Butterfly

Wow! Looks like a fascinating book so I ordered the Kindle edition.

My therapist said similar to what you said, she said over the past year and especially the past few months I'm processing 50+ years of emotions that have been held inside for so long. Oddly I had a TCM doctor tell me about 16 years ago that if I didn't learn how to get things out from inside it was going to kill me. At the time I thought I was starting to let things out but I had no idea the depth of what was inside this Pandora's box. Here's to hoping the box is wide open and it's let out and I'm not going to find something else hidden in the bottom of the box!

Thanks for the book recommendation.

flookadelic

That is extraordinary - thank you so much for sharing.

Butterfly

Quote from: Rain on November 25, 2014, 12:24:35 PMThe tears flowing ...are you, by chance, having visuals memories, or other body sensations as the tears come?
Do you, or have you worked with someone trained in Somatic Experiencing?
Rain, I totally missed this and I'm sorry. No to both questions and now I'm curious why you asked!