age poll

Started by Sandals, November 25, 2014, 10:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandals

Rain

Clearly we need to recruit some 30-year olds!!    :blink:

Sandals

I find these results very interesting.

Rain - I'm not sure if it's a matter of recruiting vs. when we become self-aware of it all. For myself, if it weren't for my ex's infidelity, I would not likely be here, as I had repressed, rationalized, compartmentalized, normalized everything.

Rain

I'm smiling here, Sandals.    It was a joke about "recruiting 30 year olds"   ...okay, an obscure joke that I only got.

I thought it was funny the aspect that we might be encouraging someone to have CPTSD.  eeeek!!!

It's like Cat's funny line about our group being the one that does not wax nostalgic about our childhood.

You have a very good point about when people do generally "wake up" to CPTSD, and start therapy.   In 20s to 30s, one is hanging on for dear life with marriage, children and dealing with CPTSD, without knowing it is there.

I'm sorry about your hubby and his infidelity, Sandals ...so, not funny.   I'm glad you are here, but not the reason why.   :sadno:

Sandals

:doh: Clearly, I am in need of more coffee! (we need a graemlin for that)

I love the mix of people here, especially the lack of drama. We have no need for this guy when there is so much drama in our lives already:

Rain

Too funny!!

And, you are right, Sandals ...gosh, no drama!!   Imagine that.    :hug:

Anamiame

I really think the results are interesting.  I honestly thought I would be the oldest here; but it makes sense because it really does take a LONG time to come to terms with everything.  I don't want to minimize the hard work I did in my 20 and 30's...it got me to my 40's which was a great, normal decade for me.  I think I thought I was done.  The shock that I am not is a little more than I can take right now.  It's kinda crushing. 

So, I'm really glad I'm not alone in this.   :thumbup:

Jdog

Just a thought- I doubt any of us envisioned the need to uncover wounds to our psyche later in life as a "goal" when we were younger, but I believe that as we age things materialize as we are ready to handle them.  For me, it took the death of my Mother three years ago (when I was 53 ) to allow me to have enough breathing room to realize that I had much work to,do on myself.  So, I guess the thing is not to beat up on ourselves no matter what age we are ....

Widdiful Falling

I think that the older demographic here makes a lot of sense. I'm quite young, myself, but I only came to terms with the fact that I was hurting, because my parents had been out of my life for a while, and I am in a very loving, supportive relationship. I had a lot of time to step back, and put things in perspective. Most people in their 20s seem to be too busy and impatient for true self-reflection. I even get caught up in it sometimes. School, work, party, game, eat, sleep, seems to be the usual in my peer group. It's not until that existential dread sets in, that "what am I doing with my life?" moment, that a lot of people really sit back, and examine their lives.

I'm really glad we have such a diverse demographic here. I really value the chance to listen to the wisdom and perspectives of so many different people, all working together, peacefully, toward the same goal. I'd say it's quite a step forward for everyone involved. I really like it here; this is a perfect place for growing and healing as a human being. I'm a very pacifistic person, and just knowing this place exists does my (oft-ignored) spiritual side some good.

tangerine

New here, and 39.  Started realizing something was really wrong a year ago when I had been past another life trauma for a year and could not get into healing/numbness and move on like I thought I was such a champ at.  Lucky me, Ive had 4 or 5 really stressful debalancing experiences this past year.  This is it!  I definitely have CPTSD.