EF, or real contempt?

Started by Gentian, February 06, 2017, 07:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gentian

I've been reading Walker and becoming more aware.  However the problem I keep having is I can't tell if am I in an emotional flashback, or if I am experiencing genuine contempt from someone who's gaslighting me.  Does anyone else have this problem or know how to tell? 

Kizzie

Hmmmm, good question.  I would suggest you can tell by the intensity of your emotional response; that is, when you have an overwhelming response to a present day encounter with someone who is being unpleasant/manipulative.  Most of us would become angry in this type of situation and become protective of our self, but in an EF we tend to also feel small and powerless like a child would.  So in an EF the past  layers on to the present and a bigger reaction than what is 'normally' called for.

Hope this makes sense.

Gentian

Thank you Kizzie yes that does make sense.  I think after contemplation that it's bith at the moment for me lol.  I feel badly for way longer than I should, and the world takes on an ominous tone.

Kizzie

Sorry to hear that Gentian, are you getting through it?

bring em all in

Gentian- I can so relate to what you wrote. Sometimes it seems like everywhere I look are triggers sending me into EF, and it is difficult to tell how much is EF and how much is real-time situation.

Gentian

Thank you Kizzie yes so far.  I seem to be in continuous EFs lately so at first I didn't know how to answer your question.  I appreciate all the kind answers from everyone.

And thank you Bring em all in, that's exactly what I mean.  I'm sorry you are in it too.

Kizzie

Come on both of you, bring it in for a big  :bighug:

We're here, we're listening and we care that you are going through this right now.   :yes:   If this gives you even a smidge of comfort hang onto it tight.