Getting ready to read some feedback . . .

Started by alliematt, February 08, 2017, 12:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alliematt

I've written a novel.  I've sent it to four people whose opinions I trust and who all have a bit of experience with writing.  I just got the feedback from one of the people, skimmed it, it looks like there are some helpful suggestions . . . and I am very, very nervous about reading it in depth. 

This may be a combination of the C-PTSD and just normal nervousness about feedback dealing with something I've spent a lot of time and energy on and is sort of like my "baby".   :)  It's easy for me to feel personally attacked when something I've done is criticized--even if the so-called "criticism" is, "This part didn't work for me."  Trying to separate criticism of "what I've done" from "who I am" is difficult at times. 

sanmagic7

i'm also an author, and i hear you.  getting that feedback can be nerve-wracking.  you've written from your heart, soul, and gut, and those can be tender places to hear something construed as negative.  what has helped me is telling myself that this isn't about me as a person, these aren't personal attacks.  anytime we put ourselves out in the creative limelight, we run the risk of, hopefully, constructive criticism. 

and, the more you can use it as 'constructive', a tool that will better enable you to construct your story in the best possible manner, the easier it will be for you to take it as a guide, something impersonal.   good luck with this, and kudos to you for putting yourself out there!  good going!!!

radical

Good for you!

I don't want to post a link, but a while back, I read a question sent to one of my favourite sites "Captain Awkward".  As it remember, it was very much like the question you've asked here about seeking feedback.  There was a lot of wisdom offered, both by the captain and by many  artists, writers and other creative people who contribute to the discussions.

I don't have much experience of my own to offer, but I wish you well.