does anyone have experience with lithium

Started by balovesyou, February 12, 2017, 04:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balovesyou

i. have been started on lithium and the side effects are crazy. i feel very dumb. absent minded, lost, forgetful, hard to concentrate.  i feel weak a lot and my muscles ache. just wondering if this is normal at first and does it go away.

Three Roses

I have no experience with lithium, but I felt very subdued and "flat" when I started my ssri. Gradually my moods began to fluctuate more but I didn't go to the same highs and lows as before.

I'm sorry I don't know much about lithium for you. :(

healingInSeattle

Yes, I was on lithium 20 years.  The effects lessen over time.  It is proven as a mood-stabilizer more than any of the other drugs on the market.  It has been in use since 1949.  If you really have been having major mood swings, stay on it for a while.  If you think there's a good chance you are NOT bipolar, wait for a time that is less stressful but you still have your prescriber available to you.  Taper off and see if your mood stays stable.  Lithium can mess up your thyroid.  True bipolar disorder can mess up your whole life very quickly so stay on it if you think that's really what you have.  There are also alternatives like lamotrigine/Lamictal in case the lithium effects are too overwhelming to you.    :heythere:

Have caution in reading the experiences of just one person with any particular drug.  :yes:  Each person and their reaction to whatever drug is unique.  Now with DNA testing it will be possible to drill down more specifically to focus on the drugs most likely to be helping you.

First and most effective treatment is consistent exercise (like brisk walking in the bright light, even when it is cold) and healthy eating.  Avoid fad diets.  Eat as much fruit and vegetables as you can.  In my 31 years on psych meds, no drug has been as effective for me as Omega-3 Fatty Acid capsules (7 grams per day minimum for mood stabilization and fresh fruits and vegetables.)