spanking is abuse. spanking is abuse. spanking is abuse. spanking is abuse.

Started by mourningdove, February 13, 2017, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briasmith12

Just going to keep this thread going, apparently.  :thumbup:

***TW***

DH and I were talking about this the other night. He knows some of my history so he asked, "Would you allow me to spank our kids?" and I responded emphatically "Absolutely not. Never, ever will you lay a hand on our children. It's abuse." He doesn't get it, sees nothing wrong with it. He was part of the "I got spanked and turned out fine." He agrees that what I went through was abuse (belt, wooden spoons being literally broken by impact, etc.), but his dad, apparently, would never spank him in "anger". it was always presented rationally, which is a whole other topic of the psychological impacts of spanking. He'd do something wrong, be sent to his room and then some time later his dad would come up, explain to him what he did wrong to "deserve" the punishment, spank him, then hug him and tell him that "This hurts me more than it hurts you" bull**** and how he never wanted to "have to do that" again. It makes me so angry and panicky, I just can't deal. DH ended the conversation by saying it will be his last resort. I told him it will never come to that, and I will never let it come to that. When we have kids, when he sees just how much I won't let him touch our children, he'll understand. I'd leave him in a heartbeat.

Elphanigh

Thank you for keeping the thread alive. It is one of my favorites.

I want to tell you I understand and am in the same boat as you. If kids are ever in my future, I would never let my potential partner lay a hand on them.. it did too much damage to me and there are so many other ways to get through to kids. Spanking is never the answer.

Phoebes

Bria- I have a few of those "i was spanked and turned out fine" or, "spanking taught me to respect my elders", etc.. The people in my life who say this also have a plethora of denial issues going on. They are "fine", yet alcoholic, or morbidly obese, horde, or have emotional issues that are undeniable. The spanking did them good, but what made them have addiction, ocd and/or denial then? (I want to ask but don't) I don't buy the "it taught me respect". It taught a lot of things, but respect was not one of them.

In a letter I got from my Nm after going NC (one where she tried to hoover and manipulate of course) she said she thought she needed to "discipline" me to "teach me how to treat people." Yes, to "treat" her in the sadistic way she required. Full and immediate compliance in every situation, and if half a second goes by it's full retaliation by way of hitting, beating and screaming. So she basically confirmed it was wrong, while trying to defend her actions and turn it around on me once more.

I had a recent lunch with my best friend's mom and sister the other day, and they started "joking" about spanking and how they used switches and pink pong paddles and how the kids would try to hide them. I was really triggered and I said I didn't agree with spanking or hitting of any kind. They got real quiet, then defended themselves and laughed it off. I felt a chilly frost when we parted ways and I though "GOOD". I can't listening to all that stuff anymore without saying something. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

Deep Blue

Phoebes I'm so glad you said something.  I'm a freeze response mostly or flight.  I had a discussion with a friend a couple months ago and she had said something similar.  I wish I would have said something.  I just shut down and haven't really spoken much with her since.  Heavy sigh  :Idunno:  thanks for saying what I didn't have the courage to say.

Phoebes

Thanks, Deep Blue. There's been so many times I froze. I usually do freeze, or fawn. I'm trying to get better about believing my opinion matters too, and if people are going to bring stuff like that up, at a fun lunch no less, than I feel like I deserve a say (finally). Although this is hard for me and I'll be working on this for a long time, I'm sure.

Also, above, I did not intend to offend about the addictive and denial issues. Those are some of my issues (alcohol, eating, denial) which after realizing and coming out of the fog about this, it's easy to see in myself, and in others who have the same type of issues.

Andyman73

I used to say I was spanked and turnd out okay. But never as a reason to spank my own kids. Mostly in general conversations. But that was all before my memories came back. Now that I know what I went through...even reading these last few posts has got me all triggered and

WE, my brothersand i , we neve r ever ever dared to try hide anything that could be used. Besides, would be kinda hard to hide belt while mommy was wearing it.  Broken wooden spoons....2 broke on backside, and 4 over head. 

:disappear:

Libby183

My mother often said that she hit me a lot but it never did me any harm.  Her weapon of choice was whatever footwear she happened to be wearing. 

The actual beating probably didn't do me a huge amount of harm at the time, but the message it sent to me, about how I had no feelings worth considering did harm me. Forever.

It was her unshakeable belief that nothing she did or said to me could have any negative effect on me that started to lead me out of the fog.

I am ashamed to say that I did hit out at my children a few times when they were young and I was overwhelmed.  I felt awful and always apologised and made them feel loved again.  After my mother hit me,  it was me who had to grovel to her, and forgiveness was an unknown concept for her.

I have lovely relationships with my grown-up children. Once they could talk, I did not need to lash out, but this also coincided with the start of LC with my parents. I think this was a big factor.

SunnyDays

Hello,
*triggers warning*

Me too. Unfortunately, there was a time when this was perceived at """"normal""". But even back then, a few decades ago, to be a target of abuse on this topic.... every single night (like my case) was certainly one of the causes of panic attacks back in the 2000s and now generalized anxiety (and fear too though I've overcome it a bit). I took this serious when I perceive that something like that is happening I can be almost sure that there are worst things to come. (I was attempted to be strangled by my mother, at 18, one day after work because I was tired).

xx

Phoebes

Sunny, I'm so sorry you've gone through this, too. It sounds like you're even crossing over into more/"extreme" abuse as well. I'm just so sorry. I know how that feels, to have resigned yourself to daily/probable daily "happenings".

Andyman, I really feel for you when you tell your story. I really loathe the people who abused you. I feel like with many of us who had the physical abuse mixed in with the emotional abuse and rages, it's on a whole other level than some of my friends whose parents were overall supportive and loving, and "popped" them a time or two on the bottom. (however your research has me thinking about my own "issues" there). I think that was damaging to them too, but on a different level from the sadistic type of abuse many of us went through.

I was wondering, was there an event that made you remember your abuse at a later age (where you had repressed it?) I wonder this, because I remember my sister being abused a lot, but she does not remember anything. I often wonder if she will remember, and also see the ongoing and current lack of empathy in my Nm. She is the GC, so things are different for her, but I have witness and been on the receiving end of the danger that presents itself in private.

Andyman73

Pheobes,

Thank you so so much for being upset on my behalf. That's still a strange concept for me...that others would be upset for me.

Yeah, I agree with you...as far as other kids who got the occaisional backside correctional action, versus us who lived that as a sometimes more than once a day experience. I can't say if those who only got it on the rare occaision....well....can't say, so not gonna speculate either.  Think that as much as the physical does effect us...even those that got the occaisional...I think what the parent was doing ... facial expressions anger and all that stuff.  Were they angry...or totally out of control....you know?

Okay, sooooo what made me remember my trauma....I had a mandatory work training about reporting and preventing sexual assault. And it didn't do anything at the time of doing the training....but 3 days later at 2am, it hit me like a bomb going off in my head! I remembered being SA at age 20/21 by a male predator. While it wasn't overly horrifying physically, the emotional and mental trauma was.  Took another 6 -7 weeks before I got more memories back....and they didn't hit as hard...and most of them came while I was awake.  It probably was 4-5 months later that I remembered my physical child abuse. Been 18 months now....since January 22nd, 2017...and I'm still getting memories back....not as often though. Going back 43 years to age 2.

I'm very sure she will remember...but may take years....not sure how old she is...I was 43 when I started gettng my memories back. But..I had been living with CPTSD pretty much all my life...and it became recognizable to myself back in 1994.  I never ever imagined it would be what it turned out to be.  If I were to count each individual incident as 1 each...then I'm looking at thousands of incidents of abuse over 43 years.   :aaauuugh: :fallingbricks: :stars: ??? :'( :'( :'(

LilyITV

I come from a culture where "spanking" is considered a necessary thing and is even glorified.  It has been so hard for me to come out and admit what I experienced was abuse. 

****trigger warning.  As a child, my dad's punishment of choice was beatings with a belt.  He'd tell me to hold out my hand and not move it, and when of course I had to withdraw due to the pain, he'd start to beat me all over my body.   In a way, the fact that he was not angry when he did it made it worse in ways I can't fully put my finger on.  Maybe I felt like he was justified in doing it because he had thought it through? Thinking back I'm angry because as a child I was a total people pleaser.  Although spanking is never justified, I never did anything as a kid that would have warranted any kind of severe corrective action. 

I have just begun therapy, but one thing I'd like to develop is the assertiveness to push back whenever I hear someone defending spanking.   Just to be able to say, no it's not normal, it is abuse, and frankly you should not be a parent if you don't know how to discipline your kids in other ways. 

Phoebes

**TW** (hopefully no one is reading this thread who is concerned about a trigger at this point).
**rambly warning**

This topic is a tough one. I keep hearing more and more, as therapists and life coaches post more and more youtubes, there is less and less about physical abuse that did not leave us with broken arms or big facial bruises. There is a lot about how "emotional abuse is just as, if not more, painful and long lasting, even though it doesn't leave bruises." True. I'm really glad emotional abuse is being exposed.

However, there's not much out there about how being attacked during a narcissistic rage, or being "disciplined" constantly (daily, 3 or 4 times weekly) with belt beatings, or other beatings, don't necessarily "leave a bruise", or if they do, as a child, you don't SEE the bruise on your back side. I remember seeing red, belt-shaped marks on my legs that went away the next day or two, and no adult outside of the home ever saw. As a child I'm not sitting there thinking hmmm now is this a legitimate bruise or mark, or is all that stuff my Nm was raging about more significant?" No, it all went together and was terrifying. I was in constant state of adrenaline, whether physical or verbal, or covertly emotional.

In my recovery, I'm just now kind of able to process the fact that I was not being "disciplined" for wrong-doings. I was being attacked because I was vulnerable. I was being attacked because my "differences" from my mother were interpreted by her as "rebellion" and "disrespectful." For example, If I wanted to wear something she didn't like for herself (like my favorite jeans, green courderoys), that was viewed as an extreme disrespect, because I knew she didn't like them. This was applied to pretty much everything, and by the age of 5 or so, I was cut off from saying anything/my opinion and was "disciplined" if the "wrong" thing came out of my mouth.

If I did do something that a child needed to be taught to do differently, which would have taken a mere conversation, the way she "taught" me was to extreme beat me, and then meanfully say, "NOW. I bet you won't do THAT again, will you!?!" or "NOW. Are you gonna do that AGAIN?" I had to answer with the appropriate word and tone, or I got more. Sometimes I didn't know what she was looking for and kept trying until I got it "right". If I cried, I "got more until I stopped." The more I keep thinking about this, the more horrible I realize it was. One of the triggering and telling things in the last conversation with my mom, it that she proclaimed she "never laid a hand on me." (I understand now her extreme shame that prevents her from taking responsibility now).

I think what is currently so upsetting is I was prevented from pursuing things that would have led to happiness. Things I enjoyed and had a natural inclination toward were ragefully dismissed and scoffed at. If I did them anyway just for fun (music, art), I was criticized or prevented from doing them. I kept doing things I liked despite all the degradation, but I could have actually been a musician, or artist. It's like it was such a foreign thought that that was a possibility. My DAD was a musician and artist, and he never once taught me, defended me or helped me pursue my dreams. My mom criticized him too. He should have gotten me away from her. But no, I blame myself. I don't blame my parents. Everyone knows that you "can't do that" for having made adult decisions not to pursue your dreams. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and declare it WAS their fault. Through beatings, emotional and verbal abuse and neglect. I never believed I could. And in fact, it's like I couldn't do anything without "permission" from somewhere. This being literally beaten into me from an early age, I hate to tell all these "I got spanked"people DID have a severely negative effect on me. Because of all the brainwashing and societal messages, it's taken me years to realize I need to heal from this.

Deep Blue

Phoebes,
I agree with you here so much.  What you describe has really really long lasting consequences.  Many of those consequences I am still realizing...
Consequences:
1. I have severe anxiety and panic attacks
2. I still struggle with SH because it was the only thing I felt I could control
3. I have triggers daily.... many related to implements used...
4. I don't cry... I guess I would like to.  I was in the same situation as you. No tears or utterances were to come out of my mouth.  If they did... "extreme abuse" as you put it would follow.  So today I can't cry, I dissociate or get a panic attack instead.... so many interwoven damages  :Idunno:

Phoebes

I can really relate to all of these  too, DB.
The not being able to cry around other people makes me feel like an alien.
I think I've realized I have an affect disorder as well. I can literally feel people pulling away from me, because I can't be normal.
I can relate to daily triggers. There are so many..I guess I'm learning to talk myself down from those as much as I can. Recognize it, and talk through it in my mind.
So sorry you're experiencing this, too. I feel like we have all come really far, but these somatic responses are very deep and take time, like grief. It's not a linear process..