Anyone tried Somatic Therapy?

Started by Coco, February 27, 2017, 10:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterfly66

Hey Coco    :cheer:

Yes I started sessions about a month  with a Therapist who uses Peter Levine's Somatic Experiencing in her Counselling, she is also trained  to an advanced level using EMDR but no longer uses it in her sessions.   I consulted her after a hug which caused me to have a traumatic flashback in which I lost consciousness and time which freaked me out. 

Are you  thinking of trying somatic therapy?

xx

Hazy111

Kat

I was going to pose the same question:  Any tried somatic experiencing therapy?  I'm looking into trying it out this summer.  There's one thing I'm not clear about.  I contacted a woman who does something called the Rosen Method.  She referred me to a somatic experience therapist.  But in referring her, she mentioned this lady is one of the few who do hands on body work.  I thought that was the definition of somatic therapy.  I'm not clear on how it all works.  I emailed the woman to ask what she does, but she gave me a general definition of SE.  I guess I could email her back and find out.  Funny how that's wasn't my first thought...

MidnightOwl

I had about 6 sessions of somatic therapy, in this case labeled trauma massage. My practitioner had a varied background, can't seem to recall one method she employed, it seemed like a blend of things. The emphasis seemed to be on allowing feelings to come to the surface, describing them, processing them and then attempting to replace triggering memories with healing ones. After that we'd do a series of massage moves that I'm not entirely sure what they accomplished. I found that getting in touch with my emotions and how they manifest in my body was helpful, but I didn't have a clear idea of where we were heading and it started to feel like the same thing over and over again with no clear goal. As I've spent a lot of money on therapy in the past, I decided to take a break and apply  what I learned in my life with the 6 sessions.