Dealing with my inner critic . . .

Started by alliematt, March 10, 2017, 02:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alliematt

My inner critic has no compassion whatsoever.  She is vicious and she robs me of my joy.

Yesterday, I named her Bertha.  In a story I'm working on, my main character is in a major pickle and needs to be rescued.  I'm imagining Bertha in my story's setting (in the middle of a desert), but SHE will not be rescued.  Instead, I am going to leave her in the desert, where she belongs! 

I need correction and guidance, but partly due to the way I'm wired and partly due to a lot of my experiences, I end up filtering everything through Bertha, and she has a knack for twisting even gentle correction into vicious bullying. 

Candid

Will you post your story when you're done? It sounds like a very creative way to get rid of your IC.

alliematt

The particular story I'm referring to, I'm planning to publish as a novel.  But I could write a story where Bertha is left behind.   ;D

I gave Bertha a "good twin" named Betsy (just because I like the name) who's kind and compassionate but gives me gentle correction when necessary.

Candid

From one writer to another, I have a lot of imaginary friends too.  :heythere:

ricepen22

How do you start turning your critic into character? How do you brain storm things and then get it down on paper?