A Conversation About Trauma...

Started by woodsgnome, March 24, 2017, 04:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsgnome

In searching so hard and so long, sometimes I feel overwhelmed at all the information now available. By the same token, I thrive on finding calm, relaxing but relevant approaches to working with and through cptsd.

This may sound like just mind candy, and the downside is when it plummets into yet more depression from where I already am. That's where safety comes in, one of the many topics explored in this panel discussion. I felt safe watching these speakers calmly but knowingly delve into the depths of lots of things, but especially the body aspect when trauma settles in and creates havoc within.

A lot of these sorts of presentations descend into redundant promos of this or that sure fix or approach to the promised land of peace and tranquility. That's where experience can make a difference, even in 'bad' stuff we're all familiar with. The presenters here have all walked the talk in one way or another. All are now on the other end of things; using what they've learned in helping others via various compassionate ventures they're involved with. While they mention some of these, their main focus returns to the point of what is trauma, how does it envelop the body (I'm only now warily understanding how "the body keeps the score" as one author put it).

The panel includes Richard Miller, Scott Kiloby, Russ Hudson, moderated by Julie Tau. Some on this forum are familiar with Miller's programs on incorporating yoga nidra into trauma work. They are presenting this at the annual conference known as SAND (Science and Nonduality). For those wondering, nonduality is found in all religious/spiritual approaches in one form or another. The basic premise of nonduality is that we're all one;  :doh: nice concept but the difference here is these people are more interested in how to live it than merely talk.

However, talk is where we can begin to pick up the pieces. Despite the over an hour discussion, I found myself absorbed in the easy flow between the presenters. They comfortably pack quite a bit of material in, but as I said before it's not heavy, and mixes well the background of the how and why with what can we really do in these daily lives of ours. 

The link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErrQ9O4CB5E

radical

Many thanks, Woodsgnome.
Broad and wise.
After days of burning, I've had a good sleep and was ready to hear this.