Recurring Dreams - Being Stuck

Started by silentsurvivor23, April 09, 2017, 02:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silentsurvivor23

Does anyone else ever have recurring dreams of being stuck in the place where they grew up? For the last year or so, almost each night, at least a part of my dreams will take place on the property where I used to live. Sometimes they're nightmares, other times they are neutral or just images that pass with no emotion to the dream, but it's always the same theme. A lot of times I'll dream I'm back there and can't escape or just know I will be there for a long time. Just wish I could dream about something else or a more recent place I've lived.

Three Roses

:hug:
My bad dreams are of other places. Hope you get some relief soon!

Blueberry

Yes, I have done. I was back in the house where I spent the most years growing up and had to move out, especially wanted to move out but I couldn't get a job so I couldn't pay rent. That was a recurring dream. Since a really bad experience with FOO last summer, showing me what my FOO is really like, what they really think of me, and me going VVVVLC, my nightmares have stopped.

Candid

For some years after NC I used to dream regularly about being with my mother in one of the several homes we lived in while I was growing up. Sometimes other FOO were present, sometimes not. I was always trailing her around, trying to get her to like me and feeling like a traitor to myself. What a relief to wake up and find it wasn't true!

Must be a way of processing stuff, because I haven't had a dream of her (or any other FOO) for a long time now.

silentrhino

I have been having recurring dreams of where I grew up for over four years.  I hate it.  It's freaky and scary.  I don't want to go there ever again.  Why it continues to haunt me is beyond my comprehension.

silentsurvivor23

Thanks for the support and responses :hug: I'm sorry you all have had similar experiences. I've been struggling with this lately and hadn't met anyone yet who really understands.

Three Roses - Thank you I hope you find relief soon as well  :hug:

Blueberry - Glad to hear your nightmares have stopped and you have been able to protect yourself from FOO. It really sucks to have to choose between family and self protection, that's not how it should be. Best wishes on your journey.

Candid - Sucks that you had those dreams, I can relate to the feeling of wanting support from a parent then feeling self abandonment. It's really hard to have to pick between the conditions of the relationship which require you to be a traitor to yourself or opting out altogether. It does feel good to wake up and realize it's safe now. I wonder if it is just the brain trying to process what's happened and make sense of new information. That's great you haven't had the dreams for a long time, gives me hope they may stop one day. Never had these dreams until I started to feel safe and content in my life and marriage thousands of miles away, then they just started up every night. Maybe they happen once there's finally an opportunity to begin trying to make sense of things.

Silentrhino - Sorry to hear you've been having these dreams for four years. It really is freaky and unsettling. I feel the same not wanting to (and never plan to) go there again. Just wish the dreams would stop. Feels like my brain is trying to find the missing piece of a puzzle or maybe it's just solidifying the full intensity of the experience to help build self protection. Hope you find some peace and they eventually stop for you.

Candid

Quote from: silentsurvivor23 on April 09, 2017, 11:38:38 PM
I wonder if it is just the brain trying to process what's happened and make sense of new information.

I think so. Or a not-so-subtle reminder that we can't go back there. Ever.

QuoteMaybe they happen once there's finally an opportunity to begin trying to make sense of things.

I'm big on the notion that dreams are trying to tell us something. These days I more often dream of being in a good job with great workmates. Maybe it's a promise while I'm feeling so discouraged. Or simple wish-fulfilment...

QuoteFeels like my brain is trying to find the missing piece of a puzzle or maybe it's just solidifying the full intensity of the experience to help build self protection.

Ever had a lucid dream? It's when you realise within the dream that you're dreaming, and can then be directive. Two things you can try:
1. As often as you think of it during the day, ask yourself: Am I dreaming? The idea is that if it becomes a habit, you'll start to do it when you're sleeping.
2. Also many times during the day, say what you need to say to your abusers and tell them you're done with them. (You might like to use a lot of expletives for this.)

Makes me wish I could dream of my mother a few more times, just to have my say and get it out there!

silentsurvivor23

Quote from: Candid on April 10, 2017, 08:17:40 AM
Quote from: silentsurvivor23 on April 09, 2017, 11:38:38 PM
I wonder if it is just the brain trying to process what's happened and make sense of new information.

I think so. Or a not-so-subtle reminder that we can't go back there. Ever.

QuoteMaybe they happen once there's finally an opportunity to begin trying to make sense of things.

I'm big on the notion that dreams are trying to tell us something. These days I more often dream of being in a good job with great workmates. Maybe it's a promise while I'm feeling so discouraged. Or simple wish-fulfilment...

QuoteFeels like my brain is trying to find the missing piece of a puzzle or maybe it's just solidifying the full intensity of the experience to help build self protection.

Ever had a lucid dream? It's when you realise within the dream that you're dreaming, and can then be directive. Two things you can try:
1. As often as you think of it during the day, ask yourself: Am I dreaming? The idea is that if it becomes a habit, you'll start to do it when you're sleeping.
2. Also many times during the day, say what you need to say to your abusers and tell them you're done with them. (You might like to use a lot of expletives for this.)

Makes me wish I could dream of my mother a few more times, just to have my say and get it out there!
That very thought ran through my mind as I wrote this, maybe it's the brains way of trying to wake us up to the very real danger there that may not have been as accessible when we were living it.

Sorry to hear you feel discouraged sounds like you are dreaming of what you know would be good for you.

I have had many lucid dreams before but they are spontaneous, never intentional. Might have to try it out to see if I can get a lucid dream on purpose. Great tips especially saying what needs to be said. We haven't often gotten a chance to express that so I can see how that could really help.