I got MY books... It does seem like a lot of work!

Started by Badmemories, December 06, 2014, 07:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badmemories

i ordered several books.. I have received some of them. I ordered...

Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving: A GUIDE AND MAP FOR RECOVERING FROM CHILDHOOD TRAUMA
Walker, Pete

DBT® Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets, Second Edition also the study book that went with it. I have not got the study book yet!

Also many other books about the abuse. I did page through the Walker book. I felt so overwelmed. The one page in the walker book was about the fawn-freeze. I read that it is the hardest type to get and stay in treatment.  :blink: :stars: In that book at the first few pages I read about stomach problems.. I did recognize Myself in that...

How are You posters going through these Heavier books and getting through them? I think I honestly froze! I am starting to doubt that I can even do it. At least on here I am getting snippets of My problems and learning about them...even that has caused me the NORMAL problems we have with cPTSD...

Does any one on here have a way to work through these books? I am not afraid of the Ef's dissociating, etc. I just don't want them to take over on My life? Any Hints,Ideas would be appreciated! Thank You

Keep on Keeping on! ;) :hug:

marycontrary

Hon, if you can only plow through his  exercises, just one sentence at a time, while remaining grounded....this is how you do it. If it takes a month to do a page, so be it. It will make huge dividends.

I know you can do it. It will be OK. There is no rush. 

morph

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step"
                               quote from someone pretty cool and with the gift of the gab.

Quoted by someone who hopes he's not being too frivolous or a puerile sycophant!

keepfighting

Babysteps - that's how I handle those books.

And lots of 'normal' activities and relaxing chicklits in between the babysteps.  ;D

Badmemories

Hi All!  :wave:

Today I started on My books...I read the first chapter on taming the tiger.. went ok.

I started on the dbt handbook and book... I guess that is college level.. not that I can't handle that just such small writing... I had to take a break.. but went through a lot of material!

I did not start the peter walker book... I did bring it over to D's house...probably in the AM.  :stars:

Keep on keeping on!  ;) :hug:

Rain

Badmemories and Her Book Adventures!!!   Yippee!!

I am impressed, girl.   A chapter here, an exercise there ...sleep on it, and before you know it ...you'll be buying more books from Amazon. :yes:

I'll be curious what you think of all these ...Levine, Walker and Linhan's DBT book.

Keep on...
...Keeping on!

:wave:

alovelycreature

Yeah I ordered the CPTSD: Surviving to Thriving and The Body Keeps Score. I think I over did it on the Walker book because I just couldn't stop reading it. I started taking a break yesterday. I'm thinking about reading a chapter at a time and doing some journalling to process it.

I almost want to ask a friend of mine what of the 4Fs they think I am. I'm definitely flight, but I think I might be a flight-fawn? When I read the description for mine I felt a little overwhelmed too. I think it's just about taking it slow and letting it sink in. Like he said, this really is a grieving process, so if you feel overwhelmed your body is probably just telling you to slow down.

I also try to read a book for fun in between trauma books.

Badmemories

:wave: ALL!

I finally started on the walker book... got to the first chapter...some good information! I think that is is OK but I was having a panic about starting it.. for no reason I think!  :yes:

Started looking at the DBT Handbook and the textbook for it. having a hard time getting it together, it is for therapists. I do have good skills at reading, but not the college background It takes to understand it all! It will work pretty well I think after I figure it all out. I decided to start with emotional dysregulation. i am hoping it will help with EF's and dissociation.

Keep on keeping on!  ;D  :hug: