Party atmosphere a trigger to abuse alcohol help?

Started by Georgie Girl, April 25, 2017, 10:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgie Girl

Does anyone else have similar experiences to me. .?
From the first time I drank alcohol at a party at 16 yrs old I have gone way over board and have not been able to stop drinking. Its like some kind of irrational thinking says to me 'if this feeling is pleasurable then the more I drink the better I will get'. I am beginning to realise that the whole party /drinking thing is some kind of flashback situation. Can anyone understand this?

Three Roses

I can relate. Although I no longer drink, from the first time I felt alcohol coursing through my bloodstream it felt like the answer to all my problems. I fit in, I belonged.

Of course it wasn't, it isn't. And it brings a whole other set of problems with it.

I hope you can get a handle on it before it gets too large. Best wishes.

sanmagic7

i can relate all over the place with what 3 roses said.  i no longer drink, do drugs, or smoke, and i know i'm better off.  i, too, hope you will be able to make the changes necessary to live a healthier life.  you're already questioning what you're doing - that's your first clue that something isn't ok.  best to you with this, georgie girl.  (loved that movie, by the by).   big hug.

David1973

I just relapsed in April after 13 months of sobriety. I drank alcoholically from the beginning at 17 yrs old. I am the kind of drink that starts at 5 pm Friday  and still be drinking until sometime after noon on Saturday without any uppers. No one I have ever drank with drinks this way but I know its because I don't want the feeling to ever end. I believe I keep relapsing because I have never wanted to face the trauma's in my life going back to early childhood and onward. I just learned of CPTSD in 2014 and its taken til now for me to understand or accept that those traumas must be dealt with if I am ever to permanently escape alcoholism and all its horrific consequences. I am 44 now and its been one big, hard circle. Good luck to you.