Positivity Planner

Started by Contessa, April 29, 2017, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contessa

Okay, the title sounds a bit 'clinical' but it's in he spirit of the idea.

Elphanigh has started something big, and it is so good :) I don't want to stop at just three good things a day.

Many of us will probably have a journal where we write about our traumas and all the trials that come with it. I do, it has been cathartic and helped organise those troubling thoughts. I have been thinking though, the cover of my journal looks very pretty, but I don't ever want to read what's in it. I've got it all out of my head, I don't really want to trigger myself. It's a shame because the cover makes me smile.

My book for three good things a day is tiny and much thinner in comparison to the journal. You know what? I want the good things to outweigh the bad, give them more of my attention, and enjoy opening a book with a pretty cover.

Enter the 'positivity planner' (or something more creative), a book or folder which is all about me. I'll write three good things on each day. Set myself little goals and give myself a reward for completing them. I'll doodle in it. Stick in photos or beautiful art. Write down important dates for hobbies, people's birthdays, create sections for my loves (maybe i'll have one for the doodles, plant information sheets, funny articles... Who knows?

Everything. A book I'll want to open and smile when looking on its pages. Any more creative names?

Blueberry

Great idea contessa!

I liked my small Books of Daily Joys, because I could take them everywhere with me, so if ever I was sitting in a waiting room or on a bus and something occurred to me, I would write it down immediately instead of forgetting it. Or put it on the narrow shelf next to my bed. But if you don't need any of that, then great! Bring on the big folder!

I've also decorated the covers of my little books with stickers or nice photos or things I've coloured in.
I also have a Rewards book in which I used to write things I'd achieved, in the way I post here now, a long with an idea for a reward and tick off when I'd done the Reward. sometimes the Reward was just putting some stickers in that line in my book. Or sometimes I realised the reward wasn't enough, I need more. Or I needed a Reward for one or more inner children too.

Writing alone in a book tends to trigger self-harm impulses which is why I prefer to write here at the moment. If that's not a problem for you, then setting little goals and rewarding yourself is a great way to go. I still like to open my Rewards book and my Books of Daily Joys and look. I've also got quite a bit of healing art work on my walls, my own art that is to say, though I'm not a person who ever thought I could draw.

Way to go contessa, focus on your progress!  :cheer:

Contessa

Thanks Blueberry!

Completely understand where you are coming from, I would not have been able to do this a year ago, even five years ago. But it looks like you have already been doing this your own way! I do like writing, so if I can have a folder dedicated to personal creative expression, I still know there's the other journal for serious stuff.

Have been googling away, there are some great free and creative day/weekly planners for download, adult colouring pages to print, even printable stickers! Getting excited :) A book for me, by me. Happy me :)

Candid

I'm another one with journals full of anguish. I've thrown out all but the last one, which seems to be chiefly composed of whip-me-into-shape lists.

I believe I'm ready for a shift of focus now. Believe it or not, there's a lot of good stuff about being me.  :)

Elphanigh

Contessa, this shoulda like a fabulous plan! I might create something like that for myself. It is amazing what you have done with my small contribution.

Contessa

Absolutely Elphanigh.

Always been a firm believer of the little things making the biggest difference.

Time to smile when we get out our pens and paper Candid. Maybe one day we won't need the other books :)

It needs another name though. 'Positivity Planner' sounds like work. Have settled down in my excitement, and will do this thing as it fancy's me.

Elphanigh

That's a good idea, Contessa. Maybe instead of planner use a less strict word to make it sound less like work and more like a thing you can look forward to. It is a positive space in a book, which I think is something to cherish. That obviously stems from me really never having a place in my life that was completely positive.

hmmm... maybe  my words will not fail me later, and I will have a better alternative for you. I have not been able to place a word that yet sounds like it is an improvement.

Contessa

Or it doesn't need a name at all :)
If its just for me (or you), a beautiful first page is all that might be needed. A drawing, motivational poster, piece of beautiful art... If it's in a folder it could be alternated as the mood strikes.

Oh here's an idea, unrelated. Many years ago my sister once bought a big frame, downloaded some very high res pictures available online and printed them on paper to fit. She stuck them all in the frame as a stack, and hung it on the wall near the table she sat at for breakfast, etc. When the mood suited, every few months she moved a different one to the front. Been thinking of doing that too.

Elphanigh

That's a really great idea :) I can't find the right words. I do have a journal in mind for it. I have a few that have gotten given to me, or I have picked up that I haven't used

Thismomsfranticmind

I love this, and want to start this as well. What about on the cover just words of positivity? Like inspiration, beauty, fighter, etc.

Contessa

Sounds perfect!

Have one, or all three and rotate them. Whatever tickles your fancy in the moment :)