Some of the best books I've ever read to help anyone move forward

Started by Marie, May 02, 2017, 05:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marie

Here are some of the books I've been reading I believe they can help anyone.

1.Dave Pelzer / My story This is a really sad account of major abuse which may cause triggers.....He gives a full detailed account & there is a sliver lining :)
2.Louise Hay / You can heal your life
3.Heidi Sawyer / Highly Intuitive People
4.Mindfullness finding peace in a frantic world
5.M. Scott Peck / The Road less travelled
6.Victor E, Frankl / Mans search for meaning

What i found to be very helpful was focusing on the more intense subjects like abnormal psychology which it has to be for some of us  :fallingbricks: then when we find the deeper meaning move on to the positive stuff like number2. Although, she suffered a terrible trauma also which is described in the book she focuses on getting past it instead of becoming part of it. That's what i did for years became part of it until i became aware of myself which lead to a serious wake up call.

All I can say is believe in yourself. I hope there is something here to help people  :hug:

Blueberry

I re-read Man's Search for Meaning from time to time. Sometimes it jolts me out of a depressive and / or addictive phase. Last time I tried it didn't work though. I've got to be in a particular place for the book to reach me.

Dee

I read Man's Search for Meaning during my inpatient stay.  That was huge for me.

I am starting "I thought It Was Just Me" by Brene Brown. 

Marie

The road less travelled is a great one its problem focused & solution based. The examples given are just brilliant.

I love Brene Brown so much she just has a lovely way of explaining :) here is one of her videos from ted but you've probably already seen it. But, if you haven't, its bit long but so worth the watch.

https://embed.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability"

Dee

I have not seen it, I'll watch it today.  Thank you for sharing.

texannurse

Has anyone else read "Its not you, it's what happened to you" by Christine A Courtois? My T recommended it when she began to suspect i have C-PTSD - like within the first month  ;D.  It is an excellent little book that made me understand me for the first time! I was like "oh, there's a reason for the way I act..." It was truly an eye opener

Texannurse