I have so struggled with both self harm and suicidality

Started by Dee, May 03, 2017, 03:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

Let me be honest since we now have this thread.  This has been a huge issue for me.  I stayed in the trauma unit for twice the normal time because it came out how bad I was.  My inpatient treatment was really about saving my life.  I spent the first couple of weeks working on suicidality and self harm only and trauma later.  I can honestly say I feel so much better.

The first thing I learned is saying it takes away the power.  I was never very honest about it because I was a afraid of what would happen to me and ashamed.  When I got there I decided I was already there, so I spilled my guts.  I now know to say it early.  By doing this I take the power out of it.  I am no longer worried of going to the hospital, because if I am honest, I most likely won't go.

I also learned the thought of is uncontrollable.  So, I am not so ashamed of the thoughts anymore.  I can chose my actions.  I made a lot of plans and challenges to deal with it.  We have three seconds to change a thought.  I have all kinds of reminders around my house now.  I have cards to keep with me.

My best advice is to say it and be honest about how you feel.  Dealing with it head on is the best way.  I also know there will be dark nights, but now I can tolerate it.  It isn't completely gone, but I can manage.  I felt understood.

Three Roses

This is wonderful. Thanks for saying this and helping to give hope to others.

Dee, you've been thru so much. You are one of the bravest people I know, and I'm proud to call you friend.

Welcome back.

Lingurine

Dee, glad to hear the thoughts of suicide don't tidal wave you anymore. Going through a hospitalization must be hard. You can be proud of yourself. When you feel it, keep saying it.

Lingurine